Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I figure after post #35503 I'll finally have asked all of my questions regarding IBS. I know this is an IBS board, but I'm kinda still concerned that I may have something more serious like Crohn's still. The reason why I haven't gotten an official diagnosis or tests yet is because I won't have healthcare until the fall and can't afford anything yet. My symptoms aren't terribly bad, just mostly bothersome. I can't tell you how much research I've done trying to find the differences between IBS and other IBD's but I still can't pinpoint anything. One of my questions is the frequency of symptoms. My symptoms can be bad for a couple of days, and then go away for two or three days again almost completely. It seems to me that with both IBS and Crohn's or something, symptoms are more constant, or when they do go away, the go away for longer periods of time. Is this a false assumption I have? Also after doing some research I've found that the diarrhea/gurgling for Crohn's or other things tends to be more constant. My symptoms mainly start up in the evening/late afternoon and last until I go to bed. I have no issues while I'm asleep or usually in the morning. Also I'd say most of the time when I have issues it's more of a loose bowel movement rather than diarrhea. I also tend to have better days when I'm out doing things or not at home. Do these things sound like IBS and are the thoughts I have correct? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
One of my questions is the frequency of symptoms. My symptoms can be bad for a couple of days, and then go away for two or three days again almost completely. It seems to me that with both IBS and Crohn's or something, symptoms are more constant, or when they do go away, the go away for longer periods of time. Is this a false assumption I have?
Yes I would say that is a false assumption. IBS symptoms can come & go and wax & wane in severity. Some IBS'ers have symptoms everyday.. some don't and yet others fall somewhere in between.
Also after doing some research I've found that the diarrhea/gurgling for Crohn's or other things tends to be more constant.
Not necessarily... that's the problem with IBS.. it can change and be different for everyone. Odds are in your favor via percentages alone that you probably have IBS. Many more folks have IBS than have an IBD.BUT take a look at our symptoms page for some clearer cut differences bewteen IBS and IBD's. Just click here:http://www.ibsgroup.org/symptoms

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply BQ. I've looked over those symptoms several times now, and can safely say that I don't have even perhaps half of the symptoms of IBD. It's kind of reassuring to know that, but it seems to me that I don't really fit into any category. I have a little bit of each condition it seems, haha.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS tends to be more waxing and waning than Crohn's as you usually have to heal up from the ulcers and other damage the immune system does before your symptoms like diarrhea tend to ease up.IBS can be from a few hours a day several days out of the month to every day. Depends on how mild/severe your IBS is. It is not true IBS must be every day to be IBS.The main difference between IBS and IBD is that in IBS the nervous system is "shorted out or with a loose connection" for lack of a better term and in IBD the immune system directly attacks the intestines and destroys the tissue. So IBD has more symptoms than IBS can have, but they have a lot of shared symptoms. The GI tract can only have so many symptoms and do only so many obnoxious things so it isn't like each disease can pick and choose something unique and only have that one symptom. Would be nice, but not how a body works.If your blood work is normalIf you are not having blood mixed into the diarrheaIf you maintain your weight with reasonable amounts of food for your sizeIf you aren't having symptoms of other autoimmune diseases (fevers, joint pain/swelling/ rashes)It is most likely IBS rather than an IBD.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response Kathleen. I definitely don't have any of those issues that you brought up, so that does give me some comfort. I guess I tend worry for the worst. The only thing that freaks me out is just the fact that my right side, both lower and upper tend to gurgle and such more than the left, and I remember reading that was a sign of Crohn's, but I could be wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts