Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can be perfectly fine, but then as soon as I put something in my mouth, I get instant cramps. I know there is no way the food I have just taken a bite of has reached my intestines, so what is going on. Why do I get cramps when eating? Also, after I have eaten I get very dizzy. Is this a sign of IBS?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe you are experiencing the gastrocolic reflex. As soon as you start chewing and swallowing food, a wave of muscle contractions travel down your esophogus, your stomach, and through your small and large intestines. This is a normal thing that most people can't feel, except in the form of needing to have a normal bowel movement after eating a meal. In patients with IBS, hypersensitivity in the gut leads to an overreaction to these waves of smooth muscle contractions, causing sudden cramping and sometimes urgent D. There are two things I find that help relieve this: 1. Peppermint oil capsules one hour before eating. Be sure to get ones that are enteric coated so they digest in the small intestine, not in the stomach. 2. A low dose of Immodium helps prevents cramping, at least for me. I only take a half dose because my weight is low (115lbs) and I don't want to end up constipated. I hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.