Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any other women tell me if the cramps you suffer with Ibs are like extremely bad period pains. I was diagnosed with IBS 2 years ago and the pains are definitely getting worse and constant day and night. I am now at the point that I think it could be something more serious, but the battle is trying to get my GP to take me seriously.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'VE HAD CRAMPY ABDOMINAL PAIN ON AND OFF THE LAST THREE YEARS. IT COMES AND GOES WITH MY PERIODS OF ON AGAIN OFF AGAIN DIARRHEA. YOU SHOULD SEE I GI DOCTOR. NEEDS TO BE CHECKED OUT.PATRICIA------------------

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Pain with IBS can be severe, and there are serious things that often don't cause much pain. (for instance colon cancer often doesn't cause pain until it is quite advanced--which is why it is a silent killer)The amount of pain isn't really a good indication of what problem you have.You may want to request seeing a gastroenterologist. They know more about GI problems.Also, If you haven't had a gynecological check up recnetly you may want to do one of those as well. Some GYN problems interact with the bowel and cause symptoms.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
96 Posts
My biggest surprise was that my labor pains felt like bad D pains. I had to have an emergency C-section because my baby was stuck in the birth canal (big head-we both survived).I was disappointed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes! Gastrointestinal cramps and menstrual cramps can feel alike. The reason for this, as explained by my OB/GYN doctor is that the neuro-transmitters are in the same region of the spine, or something like that. Anyway when the signal of pain is sent to your brain, it's on the same nerve or something. Forgive my lack of articulate sentence structure, but I remember the explanation being something like that. So many times when I have menstrual cramps, I have to stop and think, is this menstrual or gastrointestinal? You might want to confirm this with your ob/gyn doctor too.TH

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have, for the past nine years, had severe cramps before D that felt like period cramps. I have only been diagnosed as IBS for about a month though as I thought living with D was just something I had to deal with. For the past three months though, I have had a constant dull ache and on/off C that finally took me to a doctor. I,too, was worried I had something serious. Once I was diagnosed and began taking Metamucil, and hearing about others having the same pain, I began to feel better. The dull ache is still there, but has improved a bit with diet. As far as I'm told, I need to give changes to diet a couple of months to take effect. The C hasn't really gotten better yet but I have hope. Hang in there, and if you're not satisfied with diagnosis from doctor....keep questioning until you feel satisfied. Please e-mail me if you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.