Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound weird, but it's an old family trick in my family. If you got the runs eat lots of Cream of wheat. So I finally gave it a try, with the lactose free milk. That with the Caltrate Plus seems to be my combo that works. I don't know why Cream of wheat would plug you up, maybe just because it's thick? But it does do the job on me. Just thought I'd share!
~Jen

G

·
thanks homebound. i just bought a box today. i used to eat it all the time. i actually really like it. the apple cinnamon that is!kitters

G

·
I always eat cream of wheat after a severe IBS attack because it's the only thing my stomach will handle. I never noticed whether or not it helped with the D. I'm usually pretty well cleaned out by the time I'm eating it!

·
Registered
779 Posts
The reason it would help is because it's a grain and high in fiber and it absorb water and make you more regular. Make sure you drink lots of water with it too. Try other hot cereal like Red River or Sunny Boy they are delicious with a multi grain bagel. I eat it 4 or 5 times a week and it has made my constipation disapeared.

G

·
Cream of Wheat is one of my staples! I eat it every morning with a glass of O.J. I agree...it does help with D, and is LOADED with iron (45% of the US RDA) and lotsa B vitamins! I eat the plain and add water to it; along with some sugar on top. It's a great anytime food for us IBSers!!------------------For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten son... John 3:16

G

·
My grandfather died at age 94. Now he was quite a drinker (I come from a family of alcholics). But he believed in being "regular". Every morning come hell or high water he had to have shredded wheat, with a poached egg on top & a peach. He then put warmed up milk over this. He had a regular bowel movement, I think most every day of his 94yrs.I make up a batch of oatmeal cookies to help with my d.All 3 of these, cream of wheat, shredded wheat & oatmeal have the fiber to draw out the water & bulk up the bowel.[This message has been edited by billie83 (edited 06-15-99).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.