Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My hubby and I are going on a cruise in about two weeks. I booked the cruise before his IBS/depression/anxiety got worse, so now I am concerned about the trip. How have you all dealt with cruises and similar trips? I checked with the company we booked the cruise through and they said there would be plenty of bathrooms even with the excursions. I am going to try to be patient with him and let him tell me what he thinks he can and can't do. I'm not worried about the IBS part...his symptoms have improved very much over the last couple of months (thank you calcium!). I am worried about his anxiety that maybe the symptoms will come back. Just wanted to get your ideas! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Gosh, if the calcium is working, I can't imagine something much less stressful than laying out in the sun, sipping on whatever you can sip on, and reading a trashy novel while you bob from port to port. There will always be something worrisome on the horizon; but it took me years to be sure this would stay away. Even if you have to snorkel alone, this sounds so much better than the way things were for you when you first started posting. Enjoy. You have both earned it.Mark

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark. My husband definitely deserves the trip. I know a cruise sounds very unstressful, but for him it's not. He's never really traveled, so it's scary for him. I guess things are a little better. I have begged him to go see a counselor. There are weeks that he barely wants to leave the house. He still isn't working but about a day a week. He just isn't motivated to...his coworkers were really hard on him for missing so much work so he dreads even going. However, on the bright side, the D is practically gone. A little cramping here and there, but physically things are better.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have IBS-D and have been on many cruises. We have one coming up Jan.21st. I used to get myself soooo worked up about them but, they have always worked out fine. There are many bathrooms. I started having a panic/anxiety attack once when I thought that I was going on a tiny boat with no bathroom but, the boat that we ended up on had a bathroom afterall so, it was all for nothing! I believe most of them do if they are carrying a large amount of people. You can ask at the excursion desk ahead of time to find out what kind of boat/bus you may be on.I would say that I don't worry at all anymore about the cruise end of it but, I worry about the flight most. (although, I've never had a problem) I now am on calcium also and I am hoping I don't worry too much this time. I'll take my one immodium and calcium pills before I go and I should be fine. Have a great time on the cruise! What ship/cruise line???

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Pamy! Carnival Cruise, MS CelebrationIt's a Christian bible study cruise, so I think the idea that there will be some worthwhile things to do on the cruise is easing my husband's nerves. We're driving and taking two days to get to Jacksonville, so that should also make things less stressful.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, the MS Celebration is the name of the ship that she will be on. We usually go Royal Carribean but, we are doing out 2nd Norwegian cruise this time. We did one Carnival. The Inspiration. Always a great, relaxing vacation. Great time of year to get away!!!! I'm counting down the days! Happy New Year to everyone! Stay healthy and feel good!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joolie, you almost made me laugh outloud on that one...and I'm at work (not that I am laughing at multiple sclerosis). Thanks Pamy! I will tell my husband how you enjoy cruises. That will ease his nerves a little more. He is just hoping he will feel well the whole trip. The last month has been a bad one, but not really due to the IBS...more due to depression (I think). Happy 2006!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I understand your husband's anxiety about traveling. I don't travel well either. The anxiety causes a lot of problems for me. I had to give up a trip to see my fiance's relatives because it was a 5 hour car ride (which is too long for me) and I was afraid of having D in a stranger's house. So, I can sympathize with your husband. I'm sure you'll both of a great time though. Promise to tell us all about it when you get back! Have fun!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.