Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All, I recently had a CT scan as my Bowel probs had got worse. I have an history of Bowel Cancer in family so they were being cautious. It was a negative scan. However I have been having the 'runs' and tummy probs for many years now. They said maybe it was IBS and now say it probably is. I also suffer from depression and anxiety. At this time I am extremely run down. In the last 4 weeks I have had 2 cold sores. and feel extremely tired. I have been back to the doc's and next week have another blood test. I seem to be going to the toilet from once to 4 times a day and I seem to be completely emptying myself and very loose. Yesterday I had the chronic runs and today have been again but more formed stools. i am at my wits end. The doctor has given me Meberverine to try and I am on second day of that. The CT scan went from my chest to the pelvis but they say all was ok. I am still convinced it is something more sinister but would value any advice. Many Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sounds very typical of IBS.History of bowel cancer with diagnosis after 50 or everyone gets it by 40 and half your family is found to have hundreds of polyps usually by age 20.Family history of early bowel cancer could have you worry about bowel cancer before 50, but that is a few rare families.Bowel cancer normally is silent and by the time it causes symptoms you are usually very near the end.IBS causes lots of the exact symptoms you describe and is very common, especially in young adults.I know the anxiety drives the "whatever it is I must be dying of some terrible horrible disease that knows enough to hide from all medical tests" type of feeling, but it is rare that symptoms mean the worst possible thing.If you cannot control the anxiety you may need treatment for that as anxiety will make all symptoms of everything much worse than they would be otherwise.Physical stress and depression can make you feel very run down. Cancer is not the only thing that causes symptoms, really. :(Your symptoms sound very typical of IBS, you are not complaining of things that indicate worse bowel problems and the depression alone could be causing the tired run down thing (as long as you've done the annual physical thing and had anemia and that are all not indicated). Getting treated for that depression and anxiety will help a lot. Even if the only thing triggering depression and anxiety is the physical health. You often can't heal the physical until you deal with those things, AND many of the treatments for them also can help control the nerves in the gut that usually are the source of the GI symptoms in IBS. The drugs don't know if they are approved for mood nerves so will act on any nerve and the gut nerves use all the same stuff.Some of the SNRI's like Cymbalta or the antidepressant Remeron often are good for people with IBS on the diarrhea end of things. Tricyclics are also used, but usually at doses too low to help with the mood.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear K. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I really am not having a good time at present. My anxiety/depression is being treated with Citalopram 10mg. I work and play in Bands so still manage to lead a full life. Only the last few months have been extremely difficult with tiredness and toilet habit. It has gor worse since I woke up in the night covered in blood. On examination they diagnosed internal hemerhoids and treated with applying bands around them (ouch) That was 10 weeks ago and I am still sore. especially after passing stools (which i do alot) My happiness level is at about 1 so I am struggling. I have a blood test this Tuesday so will se what that shows. thanks again.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you are really struggling with the depression even with treatment I would talk to the doctor about that. Sometimes medications need to be changed or you may need to add therapy on top of the medication. Depression and anxiety are often undertreated or you don't get the right medication (either dose or type) especially since patients usually don't like to report back about not doing well.The drug you are on is an SSRI and those can increase stool frequency, it may be worth investigating if an SNRI like Cymbalta or a tetracylic like Remeron that are more likely to reduce the number of BM's are appropriate for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks K. It seems that the USA have a better choice of meds than we do in the UK so I am not sure we have those, It seems like Valium, Prozac and Citalopram are the norm over here. Interesting that you say that my med can give me more toilet probs as I only just upped them a couple of months ago? I only have to think of my bowels and it can make me go?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts