Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anything in culturelle besides fiber and brewer's yeast? or are there alternatives?tom

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi! How does Culterelle differ from Pro-Biotic Acidophilus PB8?With all the postings on toom uch bacteria growth I wonder if it is wise to take anything?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Fiber? Brewers Yeast? No, Culturelle contains no yeast or sugar or dairy or anything but a bacteria called Lactobacillus GG (named after two doctors named Goldin and something else beginnning with "G", who first isolated the strain). And some sodium and some gelatin, I think (I have to wait until my box arrives). I don't know if it's helpful for IBS -- no-one on here that I know except this recent poster found it helpful for their IBS, frankly, but obviously there is a doctor out there who believes in it and a patient who improved on it.Where it usually comes in is, say, if you have to take an antibiotic or are traveling somewhere where you might get food or water poisoning. It differs from other probiotics in that it survives stomach acids and actually can survive the blast of an antibiotic, arming the intestines like a little barrier, staying in the tract for up to seven days. The ordinary probiotic is blasted out with the first dose and you have to keep taking it. There IS another probiotic -- I think it's Bifidia Bacterium, which is in PB8 and other good probiotics -- that survives stomach acid, but that's all it does. But Culturelle, as I said, stays in the intestinal tract longer. Its usually marketed for travelers diarrhea, taken a few days ahead of time as a preventative. Also, studies have shown it can actually cure recurring relapses of C Difficile, that awful overgrowth caused by strong or too many antibiotics. So maybe there's a lot about it that we don't know.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Tom:I take Culturelle, and have been happy with it.. The ingredients are: "Lactobacillus GG, gelatin, inulin (plant carbohydrate). Contains no sugar, yeast, sodium, dairy or preservatives.Hi Patsy:The bacteria associated with bacterial overgrowth is not the same type as you get with probiotics. If you go over to our News Forum we've had quite a few articles in the past several months on probiotics, that will tell you more about them.JeanG

·
Registered
206 Posts
Those of you who were helped by Culterelle, how long did you take it before seeing results? Also, did it help with D, or just gas?Thanks, Kerri

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi Kerri,I don't recall how long it took to help with gas, I'd say give it at least a week. When I feel D coming on I take two Culturelle capsules and that seems to help. If you have D because of an overgrowth of bad bacteria, I feel Culturelle would help. It has been recommended for some types of D.------------------vikee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts