Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Integrated doctor recommended that I try Culturelle, Lactobacillus GG, after I mentioned the pain issue. I forgot to mention that I'm having major problems with constipation. I cant believe I never raised this issue!!The company making probiotic claims it has been tried and tested for Diarrhea and client testomany has proven that it helps with Diarrhea, and ther hasnt been much testing on people with Consitpation.I raised my concern with the doctor and he claims the opposite. I am so confused - instictively I trust the company however feedback from you guys would be the most helpful and trustworthy to me.Please let me know if anyone knows whether this probiotic is more for C or D, or either and what experience you've had.Thanks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sometimes people go by what they have seen in the clinic. Other probitoics make constipation claims, I don't know how generalized that is.If you want one that is more geared to constipation try the Activia yogurt by Dannonhttp://www.activia.com/pdf/Act_scientific_summary.pdf
quote:In a parallel, double-blind study including 72 healthy adult volunteers (mean age 30 years), the ingestion of a fermented milk (3x125 g/day) containing the strain Bifidobacterium animalis DN -173 010, for 11 days, significantly reduces total colonic transit time by 21% and sigmoid transit time by 39% compared to an identical fermented milk (3x125 g/day) in which bacteria were killed by heat treatment. The effect was more pronounced in women (p<0.03), particularly in those with a long baseline transit time compared to men (p<0.05). These beneficial effects were not found with heat-treated product, suggesting that both probiotic survival and metabolic activity are necessary.
Now you don't have those parts anymore, so I don't know if it would be the same for you or not.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info K,I think I'm going to call the company and find out if it would work for someone in my situation. I am also worried about other issues other than regularity relating to not having the correct or balanced bacteria.Wouldnt more than one type of bacteria be necessary especially if one's gut is particularly out of balance?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There are a lot of interactions between the host and the bacteria that live in there, so sometimes mucking with the bacteria makes a difference (it is seen in clinical trials I believe it can happen).However, most of these things work on the body parts you do not have, and I do not know of (but I will look) to see if there are any studies at all about bacteria in people without colons.K.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow,Thanks K. I must admit, most of it was a little "over my head" and I didnt understand but it did kind of make sense and it clarified that probiotics/good bacteria is essential and should be worked on.You wouldnt believe this, but my "doctor" said that because I dont have a colon that there is no chance of bacterial issues and gas and bad bacteria isnt relevant if one does not have a colon (!!!) Its so scary what we are told.Now my next big issue is finding a really good probiotic. I'm trying to do research but its a bit confusing. I also am suspicious about claims being made that are not true.thanks again for all the info, really appreciate it

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I read your second message before your first.I truly believe in the significance of probiotics and the effects it has (good and bad). It's just a "gut" feeling (excuse the pun), but I believe a lot of my symptoms could be helped by addressing this issue.My decision now is between the Natren brand - I'm trying to reach them on the phone, Enzymatic refrigerated enteretic coated, Flora and Jarrow enteric coated, nor refrigerated type. I dont know how reputable these companies are as regards to probiotics. Money is a problem, therefore I can only try one so there is a bit of pressure for me making the right decision.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey-It sounds like you had your appointment with Dr. Greenfield. I hope he helped you!Wanted to pass this along. I started buying supplements at the Vitamin Shoppe. There's one in front of the Target at 51 and Independence, there may be others here. For what I buy, prices are lower than health food stores. And their refund policy is good. If I buy something there and use part of it and find it doesn't work, they will refund or give me store credit. I've taken 2 things back that didn't work and got a refund with no hassle.I would love to hear what you thought of Dr. Greenfield if you feel like sharing that.Stokes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.