Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this probiotic?? If not, what probiotic have you taken that seems to help.I have IBS but with no real problem with C or D. I have mostly gas and pain.Thanks alot for your responses!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
My GI doc thought Culturelle was worth a try, but it's pretty expensive. It contains one proprietary strain of bacteria. Apparently it's the only one that's been studied, so my guess is it's the only one any traditional doctor will suggest. My feeling is, just because it's the only one that's been studied doesn't mean it's the only one that works. There's enough anectodal info on this site to convince me that there are many kinds of bacteria that have worked for many different people. Acidophilus seems to be the least expensive and most readily available but like everything else, including Culturelle, it doesn't work for everybody. On the other end of the spectrum there are some very expensive preparations containing long lists of many different strains of bacteria. I'm not at all convinced that it's necessary to take so many different kinds. If you do that you'll never know if one of them could have worked just fine, at a fraction of the cost. I think there's a lot of marketing involved with these things. Health food stores and magazines about alternative medicine are by no means immune to that, and we have to be careful not to buy into the overkill. It is however hard to find single strains. Acidophilus alone doesn't work for me, so I found a preparation with two different strains that is only a little more expensive. I'm planning to test it out the next time I travel, which is when I need it most. That's just my two cents.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.