Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will make this post short and sweet. I have had very bad IBS-D for over 30 years. I have done all the tests, elimination diets, and had tried all medications with no effect. I used to always be on this website looking for cures. Finally I got so discouraged I was just bound and determined that I would have to live with it. After I turned 40, it got much worse and was severely disrupting my life. I started noticing a large amount of bile in my intestines anytime I would have a BM. I have always had horrendous gas with the bile discharge (sorry for the grossness - but I want to help others). Finally one day I decided to look into those symptoms. After some research - BAM (bile acid malabsorption) really caught my eye. Mayo Clinic had an article that 1/3 of IBS is BAM that goes undiagnosed. That being said, I was skeptical that my answer would be that easy after all of these years. I reluctantly decided to try cholestyramine - but with little hope it would work. For perspective - I have not had a solid bm in over 30 years (no joke). My IBS was BAD (10 out of 10). After one day on cholestryamine - everything changed instantly. The cramps and diarrhea came to an abrupt stop. The second day I had no BMs (usually I have 6-10 a day). The third day I had normal, formed, BMs. And it has continued for a full week with no IBS symptoms at all. I cannot believe it. I have my life back. All thanks to a cheap medication that I mix with applesauce. I know this doesn't apply to all - but please, please, please, - if you have IBS D and mirror any of my symptoms.....try this medication. It might change your life like it did mine. I FEEL LIKE I WAS BORN AGAIN. I cannot even contain my happiness and excitement. I hope you all find your solution too. I should note that I do not have any gallbladder problems.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I dont mean to discourage you but if its only been one week, give it a little more time before you call it a cure. Ive tried both cholestyramine and welchol and they were great for about 2 weeks until my body figured out what I was up to and then it was back to diarrhea, plus extra cramping.

That said, thanks for sharing, and I wish you the very best. IBS is rough.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Started Cholestyramine 6 weeks ago and have to say it is amazing. Like the original poster it started working for me immediately. If any of you are like me you have probably exhausted every remedy on the internet but this drug really has worked for me. Would be nice to hear from people who have been taking this long term.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I will make this post short and sweet. I have had very bad IBS-D for over 30 years. I have done all the tests, elimination diets, and had tried all medications with no effect. I used to always be on this website looking for cures. Finally I got so discouraged I was just bound and determined that I would have to live with it. After I turned 40, it got much worse and was severely disrupting my life. I started noticing a large amount of bile in my intestines anytime I would have a BM. I have always had horrendous gas with the bile discharge (sorry for the grossness - but I want to help others). Finally one day I decided to look into those symptoms. After some research - BAM (bile acid malabsorption) really caught my eye. Mayo Clinic had an article that 1/3 of IBS is BAM that goes undiagnosed. That being said, I was skeptical that my answer would be that easy after all of these years. I reluctantly decided to try cholestyramine - but with little hope it would work. For perspective - I have not had a solid bm in over 30 years (no joke). My IBS was BAD (10 out of 10). After one day on cholestryamine - everything changed instantly. The cramps and diarrhea came to an abrupt stop. The second day I had no BMs (usually I have 6-10 a day). The third day I had normal, formed, BMs. And it has continued for a full week with no IBS symptoms at all. I cannot believe it. I have my life back. All thanks to a cheap medication that I mix with applesauce. I know this doesn't apply to all - but please, please, please, - if you have IBS D and mirror any of my symptoms.....try this medication. It might change your life like it did mine. I FEEL LIKE I WAS BORN AGAIN. I cannot even contain my happiness and excitement. I hope you all find your solution too. I should note that I do not have any gallbladder problems.
It's always great news when someone finds a way to treat IBS!

Just a brief warning for other people though.

Cholysteramine is the only medication that got me really worried. After 4-5 days of taking it, I developed a strong abdominal pain, that got worse with each capsule. Thank God, everything passed, as soon as I stopped taking it.

Best of luck to everyone !!

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is a prescription medication, right? I really want to try it but i do not have a doctor right now

·
Registered
8 Posts
I dont mean to discourage you but if its only been one week, give it a little more time before you call it a cure. Ive tried both cholestyramine and welchol and they were great for about 2 weeks until my body figured out what I was up to and then it was back to diarrhea, plus extra cramping.

Your being poisoned and misdiagnosed by jesus and his cult

·
Registered
1 Posts

Cholestramine helped me for a long time, but then stopped

1 - 9 of 9 Posts