Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
This particular product has been made quite popular lately because of the resistant starch mania. The idea is to take resistant unmodified potato starch (brand name: "Bob's Red Mill") with various probiotics including this one. The resistant starch is purported to be the substrate for the bacteria.

Here is a video from one of the foremost proponents of this idea:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I have done some googling on "Grace Liu", the speaker in the video you mention in you post, Moises, but couldn't find anything of substance.

Is she a gut-"research" quack or is she serious?

Has anyone ever gotten in touch with her?

At the end of the video, someone asks here if it is worth having you gut analyzed. Has anyone in this forum ever done that?

She also mentions European researchers who analyzed the guts of both healthy and unhealthy people. Is anyone familiar with the formers' research?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm a huge believer in the fact that anti-biotics and anti-biotic soaps, hand sanitizers, etc are part of the problems with our declining guts.

Years ago people didn't trim their nails. And they dug in the dirt, cleaned animals, wiped themselves, etc... etc... Then they ate. No washing (well, maybe a splash in some water from a dirty lake)

While that would make most people these days ill even to think about, no doubt it introduced not only some bad bacteria, but a host of GOOD bacteria.

We're doing the opposite and can't digest dairy or fructose anymore, are obese, have high rates of diabetes and other diseases, etc.. etc... :) So who's probably headed down the wrong path? I'd say us.. until we can find a narrow spectrum anti-biotic that kills only what we want, and not broad spectrum which kills every bacterium in our bodies.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi,

I have done some googling on "Grace Liu", the speaker in the video you mention in you post, Moises, but couldn't find anything of substance.

Is she a gut-"research" quack or is she serious?

Has anyone ever gotten in touch with her?

At the end of the video, someone asks here if it is worth having you gut analyzed. Has anyone in this forum ever done that?

She also mentions European researchers who analyzed the guts of both healthy and unhealthy people. Is anyone familiar with the formers' research?
Hi phi1,

Well, I suppose you could say that Galileo was once thought of as a quack. I believe that the Vatican now acknowledges his heliocentric views.

I don't thnk it's black and white. She's probably right about a few things and wrong about other things.

In June I sent a stool sample to the American Gut Project. Supposedly, they take about 6 months to complete the microbiome analysis. I doubt that I will get significant information from it that will improve my digestion but I am curious to see what it says. These tests are in their infancy and the results are not always replicable. So, take them with more than a grain of salt.

I know more than one person who did experience digestive improvements after a few months of resistant starch in the form of raw unmofidifed potato starch (RUMPS) consumption. The stuff (at least in the US) is dirt cheap, so I don't think this is a conspiracy hatched by Big Spud.

Some RUMPS users claimed it helped with their SIBO. If this is confirmed it would be intriguing because Pimentel--the man who put SIBO on the map--claims that indigestible carbs are the cause of SIBO. RUMPS is indigestible carb.

I started experienting with ultra-low doses of RUMPS a couple of months ago. Then I got hit with my first ever attack of gout and reversed all recent dietary modifications to see if they triggered the gout. Unfortunately, the gout never completely went away and I have yet to restart the RUMPS. But I do plan to try it again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.