Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
vote if you have ate one of these 3 foods before
what does cooked Spinach or Collard greens or Kale do to you?
i have IBS-D and they are of bad effect on me150.00%
i have IBS-D and they are about 50/50 sometimes good, sometimes not00.00%
i have IBS-D and they are of good effect on me150.00%
i have IBS-C and they are of bad effect on me00.00%
i have IBS-C and they are about 50/50 sometimes good, sometimes not00.00%
i have IBS-C and they are of good effect on me00.00%
i don't have enough experience with my illness to cast a vote00.00%
i have never tested it and or do not want to risk testing it00.00%
none of the choices are correct for me and or my IBS is too random to cast a vote00.00%

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok i believe the 3 most Lutein rich foods are cooked spinach, kale, and collard greens.if you have ate even just 1 of these 3 foods you can cast a vote if you remember what happened.note: spinach must be cooked for some reason to have large amounts of Lutein in it.i have IBS-D but i don't suffer from it at all as long as i stick to my diet. but the last time i ate a food that had cooked spinach in it i got diarrhea after about just 4 hours.however i see people with IBS-C who like collard greens and such so basically the poll and this topic is to see if these 3 foods are of great effect for people who suffer from constipation. and to see if it is because of Lutein.http://www.luteininfo.com/whererawat that link the Lutein skyrockets for these foods but i wonder how raw spinach has so much less than cooked spinach?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Never noticed spinach causing me problems, not sure what lutein would do by itself to cause symptoms. There is a lot of fiber in these foods and that may be more an issue for people (for good or bad) than any particular chemical in them.Anyway, it is one of the chemicals in food that is part of the cell wall so is locked in place and when people say something came out the way it went down it is usually a plant with strong cell walls that do not dissolve in the GI tract.Cooking breaks things down. Sometimes that makes heat sensitive nutrients go away, but for other things (also lycopene in tomatoes) the cooking allows something to be released that would otherwise mostly pass through.http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69286.cfm doesn't list any side effects so it isn't known to be a big cause of diarrhea for people.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.