Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on Cymbalta, but am thinking about asking me Dr. to give me Effexor. Has anyone had experience with these two meds? Can you make any recomendations? Which is better for depression and IBS?Thanks,MXWE

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm not going to tell you not to try Effexor XR because everyone's different, but I will tell you to be careful if you do. I took Effexor XR for a couple of years and had numerous problems with it. It seemed to work well at first, but then I ran into some major problems. I ended up like an alzheimer's patient. It's taken over a year to regain my brain and I still don't think it's as good as it was before. The worst part of taking it was (not that the side effects were bad enough) but coming off of it, I was weaned off of it like I was supposed to be, and I still might as well have been trying to get off cocaine or heroin, it was that hard on my body. I don't know if the regular Effexor is as bad as the XR in terms of withdrawl.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I agree w/ honugirl that everyone's different, so what works for some doesn't work for others. Unlike honugirl, I've had tremendous success with Effexor XR. I've been on it for more than 6 months now and feel great. It has really helped my IBS. I tried Zoloft and had a horrible reaction to it. So maybe try something and see if it works. If it does great, if not, try something different.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Precisely!What works for you may not work for me, and the other way around... what works for me might not work for you!A lot of people have success with Remeron, but I didn't... That's just to go along with my point.Effexor XR is my psychiatrist's first choice when it comes to anti-depressants. That doesn't necessarily mean anything... but I thought you might like to know. It's supposed to be really good.Heres a website of a well known and well respected psychiatrist.. and he pretty much lists the main anti-depressants and he even ranks them based upon his success using them in his practice.http://www.askdrjones.com/topics.php?cat=M...t%20Meds&id=116

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
I can only comment on effexor, i have been on it for some time now, i can in my experience say i have had no probs so far, although i have heard its a hard drug to come off, and im dreading it when it comes.. good luck

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I think I had problems with Effexor because there is something else going on with me, it's not as simple as "regular" depression. I believe it's a hormone imbalance or bipolar because I sort of ebb and flow. I'm either regular, but not manic, or depressed, very depressed and I can almost pinpoint when I'm going to be depressed based on my monthly cycle. This is why we try to prevent me from having a period at all, but for some reason my body seems to adjust to the hormones and over ride them. It's frustrating.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Honugirl, I don't think there has to be something else wrong with you for you to have problems with those drugs. Actually, if your hormone levels are normal they can make you manic.I've had bad reactions to every anti-depressant I've taken. Anywhere from increased anxiety attacks all the way to going completely mental on one. And I mean almost stuck me in a home completely mental.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I think I tend to have a higher level of testosterone running through my body than most women. If you look at me, I look very masculine even when I try to be feminine. I also build muscle like there's no tomorrow if I consistantly hit the weights (my average strength gain per week, and not starting out at sissy weights, is generally the ability to add 5 pounds to any exercise). I have a feeling all that testosterone makes me prone to some of the stuff that I fight such as, raging anger. I do not take steroids and have never taken steroids, I don't even take any supplements. The rages only happen when I'm cycling through my menstrual cycle and at certain points. This is why I believe it's all hormonal.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
My doctor said Cymbalta did show some promise in clinical trials for IBS. Getting approval for IBS seems to be hard at the FDA these days, but depression is an easier thing to go for if it will do that as well.It is in the same class as Effexor, so if it doesn't work as well for you as you would like it may make more sense to try a different class of drugs rather than just another drug in the same class.Sometimes one drug in a class will work better than the other, but often if one drug in a class doesn't work they tend to try a different class of drugs first.K.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.