Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Cymbalta

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  2btrue 
#1 ·
Has anyone with constipation found that Cymbalta has helped at all?

#4 ·
Well, I just looked at the pharmacy information from the Cymbalta website. During clinical trials, 11 people got constipated while 8 people had diarrhea, so it's about even. I think that it really depends on your body. Zelnorm was supposed to help me go, but I got more consitpated, so you almost have to try the medication before knowing what it's going to do. Finally, after a couple of weeks on Magnesium Citrate, I seem to be going a little every day now instead of once a week. So, if Cymbalta ended up slowing your motility down even more, there are other options that can help you move. Magnesium, Zelnorm, dulcolax, etc. If you think Cymbalta can do you good mentally or in pain control, I'd go for it. If you don't like the side effects, you can always discontinue the medication later. It look like something I might try eventually considering I have daily pain, and a varying amount of depression.

#5 ·
Thanks a ton,That wast really encouraging, I guess it is trial and error and there are options for the contipation issue. My main problem is the pain and if it can reduce that, I would be so grateful. The problem is that I dont know if the pain is worse when I am constipated or when I'm not. My priority is definately the pain issue.

#6 ·
You're welcome.
I know how you feel on the pain issue, for sure, as I have the constant pain too. I've been finding that I'm beginning to have less pain when I'm not as constipated and when things are moving through my stomach faster. I'm also finding out that nothing ever works in a day or two, it's about waiting a couple of weeks and seeing if it works.I hope it works for you. Please keep me updated if you're going to try it, I'd be interested to know how it goes. I hope you're feeling better!

#8 ·
Thanks for the info.Honugirl. I dont find that I have less pain if I'm not so constipated. The pain is intense whether I "go" or not and barely changes. I am just concerned of having a blockage because I do have a slight twist in my small intestines (I dont have a colon which complicates things a lot).I am so afraid to take a drug that may slow down motility. I must admit though, that pain is a bigger issue than constipation but I dont want to land up with emergency surgery on top of the majore surgery I've already had.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.