Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be noticing a trend here. I rarely have D, gas or cramps after breakfast or dinner, but when I do have issues, they seem to be coming within an hour (at most) of eating lunch. Sunday, Tuesday and today I have had D or loose stools, etc. after lunch - 2 meals were the same (turkey, whole wheat bread, low fat cheese - taken with a Lactaid supplement) and one was different (chicken sandwich from Chick Fil A - something I don't have often). Is there a connection? I tested negative for celiac disease in November and eat other foods that contain wheat products and such throughout the day and have no problems at all. I see my GI in February and will bring this up to her, but was wondering what others thought about it. Oh, and having so many bouts of D/loose stools in within such a short timeframe isn't totally normal for me, but it has happened in the past. I even took hyoscamine before lunch today and have been taking Align for about 3 weeks, though neither seems to do much for me at all.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Often diarrhea after a meal has nothing to do with what was in the meal.Some people react more at certain meals, but after every single meal you eat every day of your life the colon has a burst of activity. Some days you may be more likely to have that problem because the IBS is worse for any reason (stress, weather, how you slept, how long since your last meal) rather than which foods you ate or what the % fat was in the meal (although fattier meals are usually worse than leaner meals).Not sure why you mostly have lunch problems but you might look at if those meals are more on the run rather than being able to take your time or if you are more likely to be stressed at lunch compared to breakfast or dinner.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i don't know when u eat lunch, but have u checked adrenal fatigue?..................there is an afternoon lull, that could b the reason...........i know for me, when my adrenals r low & or under stress, i get D big time...........the afternoon lull usually comes around 3:pm, but it is a very individual thing.......since u only seem to have it after lunch, u may have a very slight case..........have u tried taking licorice root DGL??........it is a natural adrenal support..........make sure u get the DGL kind..........it may only take 2 or 3 caps to work for u, but i would personally like to know if it helps at all.........it's not expensive & easy to get, in the herb section..........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right, Kathleen. I should know by now (after years of trying to figure out my diet) that even when I eat well I can get IBS symptoms. Now, today I was a little rushed at lunch and had some stress last night, so that could attribute to my discomfort, but lunch is usually a pretty calm experience. Dinner with my picky 4 year old can be stressful, however!I'm going to look into the adrenal fatigue idea. It can't hurt. Could my GI help me with this or is it not a well-supported issue? I had my thyroid checked in November and it's fine. Does that have anything to do with adrenal fatigue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ugh, it's still happening every few days - after lunch! At least, it's getting predictable! I can't figure it out, but even my spouse (who has a great digestive system - lol) suggested that maybe it's a lunch-time deal b/c this is when I'm most active. I do have a question, though, and forgive me if it's been asked before or in a better way, but was the D after lunch (food) from, say, the night before? And, how long did it take to form - or not form - in the case of D?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Often diarrhea after a meal has nothing to do with what was in the meal.Some people react more at certain meals, but after every single meal you eat every day of your life the colon has a burst of activity. Some days you may be more likely to have that problem because the IBS is worse for any reason (stress, weather, how you slept, how long since your last meal) rather than which foods you ate or what the % fat was in the meal (although fattier meals are usually worse than leaner meals).Not sure why you mostly have lunch problems but you might look at if those meals are more on the run rather than being able to take your time or if you are more likely to be stressed at lunch compared to breakfast or dinner.
Kathleen, that's interesting about stress causing ibs to flare up. I am on Linda's calcium, and everything is going really well. However, it's the anniversary of my husband's death this week, and I am suffering cramps, and d. Feeling totally miserable and depressed.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
It could be part of it Peaches. Our bodies do have a physical response to emotional feelings sometimes. So you having more cramps & D this week doesn't really surprise me.I am so sorry about your loss. ((((Hugs)))) Perhpas the coming weeks will be a teensy better for you. At least I hope they will.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It could be part of it Peaches. Our bodies do have a physical response to emotional feelings sometimes. So you having more cramps & D this week doesn't really surprise me.I am so sorry about your loss. ((((Hugs)))) Perhpas the coming weeks will be a teensy better for you. At least I hope they will.
Thanks BQ - that helped. The one thing you could do with while coping with loss is good health, but it doesn't happen. Usually the opposite.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.