Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dont get this illness. I've had2 colonoscopies and both docs say I'm fine (besides IBS symptoms of course)Does anyone else wake up in the middle of thenight with severe cramping that takes1-4 hours to get it all out of you to feel better? It seems to happen more when I eat junk instead of my banana/rice diet.What's with the middle of the night? Oncein a while this happens in the evening too.I also have semi-constant abdominal pain. Levsin does nothing. My doctor is at Hopkins and I swear to God I could do a better job than she is doing. I wrote her a detailed 1 page letter about my symptoms, and she 'never got it' and didn't seem to care too much about it. She's nice and all, but just way way too busy I suppose. What's the point of practicing medicine, then?I can't stand this illness, I can't do anything I used to. I can't date, I can'thang out with friends, I can't go places without constant worry (and severe cramp attacks sometimes, which are why I worry in the first place!) This is too much for a 22 yr old. I already had Hodgkins disease when I was 16, too. Wasn't that enough?? Why must I suffer more!!!Thanks for listening, everyone. Please relate your personal experiences if you think they are similar, I'd love to get some insight. Thanks again.

G

·
I understand what you mean.Sticking to your diet is very important. Have you tried the calcium? Also, maybe you should think about finding a new doc. I get cramps and D all the time-middle of the night, middle of the day. Usually when it is most inconvenient. Don't give up, though. I married a wonderful man who understands and helps me alot. So there is hope for you.My thoughts and prayers are with you.

G

·
Hi Livewire; I also have been up during the middle of the night with pain and D. Its exausting because we still have to function the next day, so I understand completly. As for pain, I have bad and good times like most people on this BB, for example I had constant 24/7 pain for about a month straight and it scared me into going back to my GI cause I thought something else was going on.Well, nothing else was and right after that I found this BB. Halleluia!!! I know you're frustrated now, but keep reading and I'm sure you will feel better. Take care------------------Deb

G

·
Hi Livewire,I also wake up in the middle of the night at times with pain and diarrhea. Yes, it is exhausting and makes the next day difficult. For me, I discovered that sipping a cup of hot water with a little baking soda in it helps a lot but I really wouldn't recommend this for anyone else -- all IBSers are different. I am glad you asked as I had read that waking up at night with pain isn't typical of IBS and so didn't realize others had this, too.

G

·
I too wake up in the middle of the night with D and cramping. It doesn't happen all the time, mostly if there has been a day without going to the bathroom or if my diet has been off for a while.Don't give up, we all have to keep trying.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have you tried lying on your right side with your knees drawn up, like a fetal position? by lying on your right side your left side, where your colon is, will be elevated. Taking pressure off the colon and elevating it can help a little, since it'll be able to work better without the weight of your body stifling it, gas will rise easier, in addition to whatever medications you find that help.

G

·
Livewire, I also wake up in the night - although because of nausea - so I can relate to what you're going through. It is frustrating, and I find that every night now, before I go to bed I start stressing about waking up in pain. I get my boyfriend to sing "Yummy yummy yummy I've got love in my tummy" to me before I go to sleep
It doesn't keep me from waking up, but it's good for a laugh before bed
I hope you feel better soon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts