Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I recently found a great GI doctor who ruled out some things...which was good news. The bad news is, I just have frequent but seemingly random D (fantastic!). The hardest thing for me is dating; I have a boyfriend I love more than anything, and I know he loves me and is not judgemental. This is what I've been trying: acidophilus, high fiber diet, fiber supplements. Activated charcoal when I get gassy, immodium when my preventitive measures don't work. I'm going to visit he and his father next week, and I'm really seriously scared that I'll have that " explosive" D and totally embarrass myself. Regardless of their opinion, it is humiliating. I find that I try to be out of the house as much as possible when he visits so that I can use public, anonymous bathrooms. Does anyone else do this? Feel anxious about being "trapped" at home where you can be heard/smelled/whatever by a significant other? Advice and similar experiences would be hugely appreciated!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I sure wish that I could " turn off my tummy !"I am the opposite---I would rather stay home, then deal with having to find a clean, public bathroom, of which is sometimes hard to find. And most public bathrooms are not very private, when a bunch of stalls are together.I feel " safe" at home. I'm scared I might #### in the car, some day.I'm only at home with my husband, who understands about my IBS. Although, I would rather go to the bathroom 20X, when he's not home.I use spray, and open the window.I wish you well. S.G.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
I just could never clean myself adequately in a public washroom. It was always awful at work. Home, alone, was the only time I was ever comfortable. And don't get me started on the smell.I actually managed to live with this for 10 years without ever discussing it at length with anyone. (It's a personality failing; but it is mine.)Haven't had any real problems in years, now. Eat whatever I want. Glad to be done with it and never want to go there again.Good luck to you.Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
turnoffmytummy,When I have a major event, I just take more Immodium. The night before going to a college football game, I took 2 immodiums, the morning of the game, took 2 more. We were leaving about 1 that afternoon, and I was still a little nervous about going, so I took one more. I made it fine, and had a wonderful time. Also, I eat very light during this time, as to not have a full bowel. I just make sure when I do have an event that requires more than my 2 a day immodium, I lay off them the next few days, as to not get constipated. I did this same routine for my daughter's wedding, and so far it has not let me down.You didn't say if your visit to your boyfriend's house was just for one day or longer. I have taken extra immodium on vacation for several days, you just have to be aware to slack off so you will have a bowel movement as needed.Good luck, sometimes we just have to do what we have to do, to survive!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know what you mean about the dating thing. I eventually had to tell my boyfriend about it. I was running to the bathroom to many times with out explanation. If he doesn't know, you're gonna have to tell him eventually. You can even make light of it by saying you have a sensitive stomach. When my extended family or people who don't know about it are over my house, i always feel uncomfortable. Sometimes I used to take a shower or just run the shower to cover up the time i've been in the bathroom or to hide the smell. I'll be thinkin of you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know how you feel. I have been dating my boyfriend for 4 years and he's probably been fully aware of my problem for about 3 and half years. We just don't discuss it in detail.. Whenever I'm feeling sick and know that I'm going to have D, I always refer to it as "an upset stomach". In front of friends or people who are not familiar with my IBS, they aren't necessarily sure what I'm referring to. My only tip would be this...when I've ever had D at my boyfriend's parents house, I do my best to use the upstairs bathroom. That way I don't have to worry about the being so close to where all the people are sitting. I try to get my boyfriend to help me out with this,...like I'll whisper to him that I'm not feeling well, so lets go upstairs. That way, I can try to use the bathroom upstairs. Hope that helps some.My boyfriend is pretty cool about it, it just frusterates him. When I'm not feeling well, he knows were in for a night of just laying around. It's difficult to even put in a movie becuz we both know I'm going to be getting up 3 times in the middle to run to the bathroom. He's pretty good about it, but I've come to expect a disappointed sigh whenever I tell him my stomach is bothering me. He understands, but it's still frusterating for him.

·
Registered
24 Posts
About a year ago I decided it wasn't that embarassing and I told myself to get over trying to hide it. I hate using public restrooms with many stalls in it, like others here, I prefer my restroom at my house. I don't really remember how I told my bf. I think the first time I got sick around him I just told him "Oh i have a stomach problem. I get sick when I eat or whatnot.".... something like that. Lucky me, his mom has IBS and he knows all about it.We've been together a year and now live together and our bowel problems are something we opening chat about heh.I dunno why but I just feel so much better when people know I have IBS. It takes the stress of having to hide it off of me, and if I have to go to the bathroom a million times, everyone knows why.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I told my boyfriend and his family, he only lives down the road but i told my boyfriend before we went out as i didnt want to suprise him, he was fine with it. hes very supportive of my bad days. i hate public toilets to im very finicky about things like that, even university toilets but i love my own toilet suppose you know you are safe at home. if you are gong away use you safe foods... i usually live on choclate when im away or plain chicken.high fibre gave me bad D and cramps i struggle with any vegetable and all fruits but melon, that nearly killed me i loved my fruit, i fight the need of eating it daily. Jes i work on the same theory as you, i tell everyone new near me i have IBS and struggle with foods, that they make me ill. It removes the stress and some anxiety about being social. I dont care about people thinking its embarrassing as its a problem i'll always have and people tend to cope well with finding out. hehe helps you know who your true friends are

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.