Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,Does anyone know of a med, prescription or otherwise, that calms down D when you first start to feel it, like right after a meal? I carry immodium but it only works after I've had the 'episode'. Is there anything out there that will stop D once it's in motion? I really appreciate any answers.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Immodium seems to work for me but let me tell you something that DOESN'T work and that is pepto bismol. I had a major attack on Sat. and I took two pepto tablets - no change - then I took a dosage of liquid pepto and it still didn't slow the D down! Sorry I didn't help but I just wanted to tell you what not to buy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fern: I take Librax (as needed) 30 minutes before a meal (or up to an hour before.) It's a prescription med, mainly a tranquilizer for your gut and a little bit of a relaxant. It helps prevent cramping, which I used to have really badly. I use the Caltrate faithfully and I don't need the Librax much at all. But it just calms things down and helped me get things under control. If I feel myself getting really tied up in knots, as I do before a big event or happening, I take one. It really helps quiet down my gut and calms be down a little too. Cramping is much less, or doesn't happen.Good luck, Karen

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, i also take Librax when needed. i have just started in them about a month ago and they do seem to be working better then the rest Levsin, Bentyl> etc. I also take Caltrate and that does help, but if Iam going somewhere or have to eat out at a resturant- I definetly have to take the Librax. Has it ever stopped diarreha when once it begans? The only thing is it really is expensive!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm wondering the same thing, Fern. I'm currently on Librax and just started Caltrate a few weeks ago. I must admit I'm more on the C side, which has never, ever happened to me in 17 years of this disorder!!! So I'll be cutting down the Librax. And, yes, Jade it is expensive. wow.Jade, if you take one 1/2 - 1 hour before, it keeps D away? Just wanted to clarify. What about if your gut has already started churning but nothing has come out yet? What does anyone take at that point? Thanks all!![This message has been edited by Alex (edited 08-23-99).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think once you have started the rumblings and the cramps NOTHING in the world will stop it at that point, i sure would like to know if anyone has found anything that does.Librax makes you sort of relax, and maybe that why it helps for it to not start at all. i wonder if it is the Librax or the caltrate that is making you a bit on the C side. I would rather stay there if i could, at least you can go to resturant and eat a bit and not run for the bathroom 10 times!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alex and Jade: I'm so surprised to hear about Librax being expensive! We have a 'drug card' for our insurance and I only pay $10.00 for 100. How much is it? ---Also, Alex the Caltrate made me C too, after being all D for years. I had to cut back and now only take 1 a day. No D for months!! But I do think it says on the medication summary for Librax that it may cause C, I guess since it slows things down. good luck, Karen

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi karenr-- Generic or brand name Librax-- Try 200 pills for 368.00!!!!!!!! Something is really wrong somewhere.Mine was brand name and it was hard to get the pharmacy to give me the brand name.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts