Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think..not too sure i may be lactose intollerant, is the best way to get a blood test? or is there a home test?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Usually they give you a breath test. You will consume some dairy and then they will give you a breath test to measure the hydrogen level. I am unsure how accurate it is I would assume a blood test they could do it with a blood test.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I always assumed I was LI because of my severe reactions to dairy when my IBS was at it's worst. After finding a treatment for the D, the reactions to dairy slowly retreated. For some years, now, milk and its many derivatives no longer cause problems. It presumably was only a sensitivity.Mark

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its bizzare i have yoghurts ect, but i had cocopops n it sent my bowels in to spasums within an hour, no other cereal has done it, so thats why im unsure, its totally weird

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Mine was general across all cereals, although I had a preference for Honey Nut Cheerios, myself. It stopped when I subbed soymilk. I would assume the Cocopops, myself; and that should be easy enough for a self-test.Mark

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they just made of rice tho
its too strange

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I could be lactose intolerance (a breath test will tell) and that can be fixed with taking Lactaid. For many IBSers, though, the fat in esp. whole milk can be another source to irritate the colon/GI system. So, even though some people are not lactose intolerate, they still find milk irritating. Yogurt is better b/c it's fermented and some may also have live cultures of probiotics to help make it easier.For the cereal, it may also depend on what other ingredients it has. For example, high sugar level, esp. artificial sweeteners, tend to bother IBSers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts