Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So- my Dr. said it is preferable to have more real dairy food than just supplements. So- I started to eat some tofu- and yogut. The last two days my stomache is so uncomfortable- and I have aches in my legs & arms. Has anyone experienced this- and suggestions for dairy substitutions.

·
Registered
700 Posts
pieta,i've decided to cut my lactose intake waaay back since i've heard how so many of us ibs sufferers are lactose intolerant. but, the bacterias in yogurt are supposed to be really good for digestion, so i started buying 90% lactose free yogurt. i've also found that eating goat's cheese (feta) is not as hard on me as say, cheddar. you can get lactose free milk and ice cream too. i've tried soy and rice milks, but found them gross--i think i have a bad reaction to soy anyways.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
if it's just lactose intolerance, use lactase enzyme pills - they work. and for most people, yogurt should be fine even without pills or buying some special kind - the active cultures break down the lactose for you.if it's another kind of dairy intolerance, then it's a different story. in that case, be careful about anything you eat since many processed foods contain dairy even if you don't think they do (e.g. whey is dairy and a common filler)nancy

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Pacific Foods recently came out with a fortified oat beverage. They also have hazelnut and almond. There are many calcium-fortified drinks available without soy or dairy.I may have mentioned this on another thread, but you can also get a lot of calcium from broccoli and products made with significant amounts of baking powder (not baking soda).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use rice milk on my cereal and also for cooking and baking. You get used to it. And hard cheeses aren't nearly as upsetting to me as soft ones. But I still eat them in moderation.I too cannot eat yogurt. Gives me terrible cramps. I know there are supposed to be beneficial enzymes and such, but they are not good for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.