Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn!Had my pre admission clinic at the hospital this morning and unfortunately my surgery date has been postponed by another two weeks!Damn, and double Damn!Two more agonising weeks of waiting!Still I can't really complain, the nurse said it was because someone needed surgery for bowel cancer. At least I can be grateful that as far as I know gallstones are generally not life threatening like cancer is.It is still hard having to wait another two weeks though. I go on the 28th of November now. I sure hope they don't change is again. If they do I will likely have to wait till after Christmas as they close down for about a month over Christmas and New Year to all but emergency surgeries.I still feel totally bummed about it though, I soooo want it to be over with! The waiting is the worst part of anything!I was soooo stressed this morning just having to attend the pre admission clinic, what am I going to be like before the surgery! AAAAARRRGGGHH!Ah well, I did ask if they can give me a room as close as is possible to the bathroom! Maybe they could just stick my bed in there???Thanks, just needed to vent a bit. I am sure others can relate to the 'postponment' nightmare.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Sabriel, I am sorry to hear that and it is majorally frustrating to be ready and then wait so vent away.
I found out today my dad has colon cancer. I am pretty much still in shock over this as his prognosis is not good.I can say and this is really really important, get a colonoscopy, overcomes any fears and get one done his prognosis would have been much better had they caught it early.Try not to worry about the future Sabriel it does not help anything and even makes it harder on you. You'll do fine.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yeah this is sooo frustrating. But I'll keep fingers crossed they get to you on the 28th.I bet though that you will have a case of "anxiety-interruptus". And I hate when that happens! Nothing like getting a real good anxiety brewing and have to turn down the flame.
Somehow I can never get that anxiety up to a decent boil after I get interrupted!Hang in there.
BQ

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Sorry to hear they pushed it back 2 weeks! I think the waiting is a killer isn't it. I've got 10 days till my surgery, and even though I wouldn't mind putting it off till after Christmas the waiting is getting to me! Hang in there!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sabriel I sympathise and comiserate!!! I had my surgery postponed on me until after Christmas - for much the same sort of reason. Malignant melanoma's take precedence over a whopping big piece of glass that's been in my heel for almost a year. Isn't it horrible how you get all psyched up to get it over with, then only to be let down. Public hospitals!! I'll be thinking of you ... I hope you get attended to quicker than me.Take careKristy

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys/gals. It sure does help to know that (unfortunately) there are other people in the same or similar situations to me.Eric, I wish your Dad the best and hope that he will get better. It certainly puts things into perspective when you know others have more serious problems than you (me).I am sure I will get there in the end. I will just be so glad to have it done with. I HATE having appointments hanging over me for so long. All that time to just 'think' and worry oneself into stress attacks. Ugh! I had Diarrhea all morning yesterday just about attending the pre-admission appt, and it has not let up yet today! Stress is definately my Number One trigger. (Till yesterday I had been pretty good for a couple of months too.)Ah well, in lieu of the postponment I figured I might as well really do a number on myself and make a dental appt. I have not been to the dentist for so long I can't remember!
I just turn to jelly at the idea of being 'stuck' in that chair for the duration of the dental work. I have started in many situations explaining straight up that I have IBS and if I say I gotta go, I mean 'right now' not in 5 mins or 10 mins but this very second. I find that most medical people are pretty understanding about that. (I do have my Lomotil tablets too, but they are not always 100 percent effective!)Mind you the doc I spoke with at the hospital yesterday did not seem to know the difference between IBS and IBD! (maybe it is just not his area, but still).I can't believe I had to phone 4 different dentists before I could find one with an appt date before mid December though! Finally got one for 15th Nov, so not too long to 'stew'!Thanks again, and best wishes to you all on your surgeries too.Cheers :love:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.