Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually have various shades of brown colors, sometimes dark pellets, but can stool suddenly turn dark brown? I am easily scared by any changes and often cover the bristol stool scale back and forth. Dark diarrhea scared me the other day and now it's back to solid, but still really dark brown. I was hoping it will go back to where it was before. This happened a day after I had a dinner of spicy Indian food, which I'm not used to eating. Is this something to be concerned about?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Black tarry stools are a red flag and usually mean there's some bleeding somewhere in the GI tract. Dark brown? Possibly not, but don't take what I say as gospel. Now are your stools black or dark brown?
Could it be related to foods you ate? Whatever you take in can affect the colour of stool. For instance activated charcoal can make stools very dark or black, even if there is no bleeding going on higher up. Beetroot can make them red or purplish.

Maybe you could try a few days with gentler food than spicy Indian curry....perhaps a bland-ish diet of chicken, fish, eggs, vegetables, rice, potatoes, bread etc. Then check again and see what's happening?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went over what I'd eaten. I also remembered I had started taking zinc. Looked that up and found that it can cause very dark stools. I stopped taking them and now am back to mid browns. Weird!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oh that's interesting! I didn't know that about Zinc. It is very good for you though. Perhaps a smaller dose might be better?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts