Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 19-year-old daughter suffers from abdominal pain and alternating constipation/diarrhea. She's had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, abdominal ultrasound, labwork (including test for Crohn's, and stool analysis), and has done the 21-day elimination diet. The diagnosis seems to be IBS. They gave her Bentyl and told her to take probiotics. She avoids gluten and corn, which seem like the things the elimination diet pointed to.

Nothing's helping. The pain on her lower-right side (worse after bowel movements) is almost daily. She's a college student, and she's had to adapt her life around her pain. Working part-time during school breaks is almost impossible, and she has little social life, which is a shame for someone so young. She can live wtih the other symptoms, but the pain is crippling. She's getting desperate, and I can see why.

Please, can anyone offer advice? She's given up on the doctors, even the one who is an MD and alternative practitioner combined. Doctors aren't good at helping when they don't know what's wrong or have no way to treat it, and I think that's what we're encountering here. We've spent a fortune on diagnostic tests that told us nothing helpful. Her quality of life has eroded, and if she has no hope that she'll feel better, I think she's going to sink into depression. SOS!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Out of all the diets, the low FODMAP diet seems to suit most IBS people. I modify this diet to exclude all breads as I have found the low FODMAP breads are either very high or very low in fibre. Doctors are useless when it comes to IBS.

Your daughter could try this trial diet. It's quite filling and there's little digestion gas. This is mostly soluble fibre and easy on the colon. Evacuation should be quick and easy the next day.

Breakfast: rice pops/corn flakes with milk (just a bit or lactose free)

lunch: salad (lettuce, tomato, carrot, cucumber and some cheese)

dinner (2 people): frittata (bacon 8 slices, 6 eggs, capsicum, sweet corn cut from 1 cob, small diced potato, pumpkin or sweet potato.

dessert: sliced banana in vanilla yoghurt.

Late evening snack (if you get hungry) - another bowl of rice bubbles/corn flakes

If she has a sensitivity to any of these foods, just substitute something else.

You can also get gas from incomplete evacuation, so she could try staying in the loo longer to make sure she's completely gone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts