Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first topic on these boards. I used to be IBS-D, but I switched medicines to see if it would help and now I am IBS-C, which I find less irrating. Currently I seem to have a pretty basic pattern going on: I will feel absolutely great for a period of about 6-8 days, but I will not make any bowel movements in that time, the anti-depressant I am taking (Effexor) seems to calm me down, but also constipates me. Once my time runs up as I like to say, I usually get a stomache ache and a urge to make a bowel movement finally, however it is extremely difficult and often takes multiple trips to the bathroom before I am able to go. As soon as I go I have a EXTREME amount of pain in my rear. This pain simply drives me crazy - I believe my colon is flaring a lot, and I have no control over it. To deal with the pain I almost always must hop in a warm shower/bath to calm myself down. The pain makes me think very irrationally, almost always suicidal thoughts come up (I would never intentionally hurt myself, but when I am that amount of pain the idea of ending it by any means sounds reasonable). I become very negative and most times, but after the initial 10-15 minutes or so I slowly go back to normal.My question is what can I do to treat myself when I have these intense pains after a large (or many) bowel movements? I have been considering a strong painkiller to take only when I am in agony from an attack. Currently Kaopectate (sp) and anti-spasmodics seem to work well, but it takes too long to work for my comfort (I need something to help me within 5 minutes!). Sorry for the rant, but any help is VERY appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Prescott:Hi, this is my first topic on these boards. I used to be IBS-D, but I switched medicines to see if it would help and now I am IBS-C, which I find less irrating. Currently I seem to have a pretty basic pattern going on: I will feel absolutely great for a period of about 6-8 days, but I will not make any bowel movements in that time, the anti-depressant I am taking (Effexor) seems to calm me down, but also constipates me. Once my time runs up as I like to say, I usually get a stomache ache and a urge to make a bowel movement finally, however it is extremely difficult and often takes multiple trips to the bathroom before I am able to go. As soon as I go I have a EXTREME amount of pain in my rear. This pain simply drives me crazy - I believe my colon is flaring a lot, and I have no control over it. To deal with the pain I almost always must hop in a warm shower/bath to calm myself down. The pain makes me think very irrationally, almost always suicidal thoughts come up (I would never intentionally hurt myself, but when I am that amount of pain the idea of ending it by any means sounds reasonable). I become very negative and most times, but after the initial 10-15 minutes or so I slowly go back to normal.My question is what can I do to treat myself when I have these intense pains after a large (or many) bowel movements? I have been considering a strong painkiller to take only when I am in agony from an attack. Currently Kaopectate (sp) and anti-spasmodics seem to work well, but it takes too long to work for my comfort (I need something to help me within 5 minutes!). Sorry for the rant, but any help is VERY appreciated.
Is the pain normally in the bum with IBS. I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with me. (and, yes, I'm seeing a doctor next week) I have excruciating pain in my abdomin sometimes. I totally know where you're coming from with the suicidal thoughts thing! Also, I occasionally get stabbing pains in my rear, that seem to happen more frequently during my menstrual cycle. Does any of this sound familiar?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.