Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be something many people like to hear, but I've wandered ever since I was diagnosed with IBS. What are the chances of death or what's the death rate of people with IBS?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
there is no correlation. IBS does not kill or lead to diseases that do. There are other digestive disorders that can but not IBS.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Kind of surprised the suicide rates not higher...With people being terribly sick every single day. I hate to sound so gloomy but sometimes people give up, especially if there appears to be no hope; and as of yet there is no real cure for I.B.S

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Quart66,I know it seems undeserved, especially when you see how others live and yet don't get this; but look around. There are lots and lots of people on the Board who have found many different treatments for this condition. I'm pretty convinced that if you open up to trying some of the things that have helped others, you will find one or more of them to help you.I would never wish the experience on anyone; but I can honestly say I am healthier now than I have been for 20-30 years. If it could happen to me, it can happen to you.Cheers,Mark

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
IBS itself does not cause death. That is one reason it is called a functional disorder.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Now suicide, that's another issue! I'm sure some people have been pushed near the edge with this stupid condition.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ramon,I hate to break it to you, but there is a 100% liklihood that you will die. That's the bad news. The good news is it won't be from IBS. It's possible your reaction to IBS could be fatal, if you are prone to morbid indulging. Lighten up, and don't contribute additional stress to the situation!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts