Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this isn't a stupid question, but I've always though that D was like "runny" for lack of a better word. Then I read somewhere that D can also mean bowel movements that are very frequent, even though the consistency may be what most people consider normal. What's the story? I have bms maybe 10 times a day, but it's not loose. I have to go when I'm in a mall, a new situation, etc, and even when I'm just at home like I am today. Do I have D, or what? They're daily, so I know it's not C. Am I considered a D?? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
LinMar:It does sound like D to me too! I know you've posted before, I recognize your name, but I don't remember if you ever told us much about yourself. Have you had any testing done? Are you on any medication? It sounds very uncomfortable to me, and I hope you're getting some help.JeanG

G

·
Hi LinMar,I've just read your post and I have exactly the same type of BMS. I go three maybe four times a day,usually in the morning, here lately though I've had a few BMS in the afternoon. I was on Levsin and it didn't do anything for me. Im still losing weight and Im beginning to get depressed about it. I use to weigh 143 I now weigh 135 and this has been since December. Nothing seems to work for me. I had a colonscopy in January and was told I had colitus. I don't know why my IBS kicked back in after being symptom free for almost seven years,nothing is different in my life. Hope everything works out for you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for responding--I was beginning to worry that no one would!I had a colonoscopy about 3 years ago because my father had colon cancer and at the time I had a small amount of blood in my stool. It turned out fine, no polyps, etc, but I mentioned to my doctor that I was also having lots of frequent bms ever since I quit smoking 6 months before. He said that wasn't unusual--lots of ex-smokers have IBS because for some reason nicotine seems to help mask the symptoms. I've only had 2 "terrible" incidents in the past year where I've had what you might call explosive D, but otherwise it's just having to hit the restroom 10-12 times a day for bms. Sometimes it's hardly anything--other times I wonder where it's all coming from. My doctor suggested trying to increase fiber (soluble?) as a start. I find myself planning any shopping trips, etc, within a 30 minute ride, and I do know where all the restrooms are in every nearby store. I've taken Caltrate, and the only thing that will alleviate the number of times I have to go is Advanced Immodium. What do you all think?

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Lin:I alternate between C & D, and when I have D I take Immodium for it, which seems to help pretty well. But what you're having is a lot more than what I get.When is the last time you had a colonoscopy done? You're probably ok, I just don't know how often they recommend it if there is cancer in your family.Increasing your fiber is a good thing to do. Don't forget to drink plenty of water at the same time. Have you thought of trying Lotronex yet, the new IBS drug? You might want to mention it to your doctor. There's no sense suffering if you don't have to.JeanG

·
Registered
220 Posts
You sound exactly like me!! I don't go on trips, even to the mall, unless I know where the restrooms are. In fact, I even like to know where some are along the way in case I need to stop. Driving down country roads or highways are the worst, because there are no washrooms! How do the rest of you cope with this problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts