Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
I certainly do. My mouth is almost all crowns. I am in the process of a root canal right now. I have one more visit to go. Of course my dentist prescribed antibiotics for the infection which made my IBS 100X worse. I have gotten to know my Dentist really well over the years. I've seen him so often. I feel fairly comfortable around him now and have been honest with him regarding my IBS. I hate laying back almost flat when he is working on me. It makes my stomach gurgle and growl something terrible.

I always take Lomotil before my visits and don't eat anything close to my appointment time.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Hi, I'm jumping over from the chronic constipation board. I have mercury fillings too. Many. None are new, they are all about 35-40 years old.

They may be bad for you (-???) but they've held up REALLY well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't know what, if any, link there may be between the dental issues being discussed and ibs, but there is definitely a correlation between tmj problems (jaw problems) and ibs.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but I started having terrible jaw pain within months of my ibs becoming more severe [I had ibs well prior to this, but up until then had never gone to a doctor specifically for my gut issues]. In my case, the tmj problems are the result of many years of tooth grinding, to where it actually caused damage. But my ibs issues could still be linked to it somehow.

Otherwise, the only dental issue I have is mild-to-moderate periodontal disease [but it is well managed and not a serious issue at this point]. Apparently, long term tooth grinding is linked to periodontal disease.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I follow some of the ideas of the Weston Price Foundation. It is supposed to help with dental health. I visited the dentist last week and everything was ok with the exception of some mysterious stains. "Chromatogenous flora"

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I certainly do. My mouth is almost all crowns. I am in the process of a root canal right now. I have one more visit to go. Of course my dentist prescribed antibiotics for the infection which made my IBS 100X worse. I have gotten to know my Dentist really well over the years. I've seen him so often. I feel fairly comfortable around him now and have been honest with him regarding my IBS. I hate laying back almost flat when he is working on me. It makes my stomach gurgle and growl something terrible.

I always take Lomotil before my visits and don't eat anything close to my appointment time.
Any mercury?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Mercury is not released from amalgam fillings unless they are removed. You would be exposed to more mercury if you have them removed and replaced than if you just left them there.

Also if you eat any seafood, you get way more mercury from seafood than you would ever get from dental fillings.

·
Registered
224 Posts
This is not true, at least not from my findings and experiences. There are studies on both sides, but it is becoming clear that mercury in the mouth is causing issues. I just talked to a man 2 days ago with a testimonial on after getting his 17 fillings out. He was having D 20 times a day and they diagnosed him with ulcerative colitis. After getting them out and detoxing, he eventually got completely clear from D. He currently is not taking any meds for UC and has been in remission for over 10 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does people who never had dental issues even exists?
There definitely are, but very rare. I know at least one person who never had problems. This is due to his good care and diet as well, and probably good genetics, because he said that in his family no one ever had problem with teeth. Well, I am not that lucky, though, and my teeth are not perfect. This is the reason why I am visiting a dentist The Healthy Smile - Bay Village Dentist -Jeffrey Gross DDS regularly for a beautiful smile. I am a very positive person, smiling every day, and having a beautiful smile is very important for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does people who never had dental issues even exists?
I've almost cured my stomach lately, so this story will be over for me I hope very soon. As for the teeth, I have two implants because many years ago I had poor-quality fillings that started to deteriorate inside, and my teeth hurt so much. Nothing could be done except to pull them out and insert two implants and that's what we did. Since then, it happened 2 years ago I take much care of my teeth and also started using a water flosser after Regain Teeth recommendations. "Water flossing is a way to clean between and around your teeth. A water flosser is a handheld device that sprays streams of water in steady pulses. The water, like traditional floss, removes food from between teeth." That's an amazing way to clean your mouth, teeth as clean as a whistle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts