Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need quite a bit of dental work done which will be done over several visits.I am not good at being closed in as in the dentist chair, and worry if I will need to rush to the toilet ! I have IBS A and worry that the stress will make me "overactive" again. Does anyone else have this problem ?Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It usually is my bladder that gets nervous in the dentist chair, not my bowel.The dentist knows this and anytime I give the signal I'm allowed to get up and make a quick bathroom trip.It helps to eat a safer diet (if you have one) for a day or two ahead of time and if you are really worried take a low dose of Imodium or an antispasmodic to help keep things calm for the duration.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I went through a time where I had to have loads of dental problems and I didn't tell my dentist for years that I had ibs diarrhea and made worse by my total panic about the dentist as well. I used to worry so so mcuh about being stuck in the chair and not being able to escape but I finally told him and it made such a huge difference. If I'm late for my appointment, or in the toilet when he calls my name he's really cool about it all. I wish I had told everyone about this sooner as hiding it only made things worse for me and a lot of the stress instantly went. So I would definitely advise you to tell them about your problem no matter how embarrassing it is because it only takes a few minutes but helps a huge amount.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, I do the same thing all the time. If it's a dentist appointmet or a doctors appointment I sit and worry myself silly about what might happen to the point to where I have actually cancelled or talked myself right out of going. I don't like being like this and it's terrible to be.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have IBS D and also get nervous about going to the dentist to get work done. I'm usually ok when its just check ups or cleanings but when its for actual work thats when I get a bit worried about my IBS. I try to book my appointments later in the day as my IBS is worse in the mornings. I also told my dentist I have IBS and I might need to stop for trips to the bathroom. She was fine with it and lets me know when she is starting a part that might take a while where she can't really take a break, in case I need to go before. So if you let your dentist know it will help a lot with the anxiety knowing you will be allowed to make trips to the bathroom whenever you need.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Me too, I am so glad it isn't just me! I have had to cancel my dental appointments so many times due to IBS.It's frustrating. I also try to go to the dentist in the afternoon, my IBS-D isn't quite as bad in the afternoon, usually.And I talk to my dentist about it too.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Me too, and like the rest of you, I told the dentist up front, and they are totally cool about it - in fact, they deal with dental anxiety even without IBS - thus the option of nitrace oxide - we even have an office that advertises as the "fraidy cat" dentist - so dont be too concerned as they usually get it anyway. One way that helped me thru it was hypnotherapy (read my links below if interested) and this took my anxiety way down - I only had to leave the chair one time over the course of my dental experience - and that was due to a bad reaction of the med they gave me - not IBS... so it did help loads.In the past, I had to always cancel dentist, beautician, and doc appts all the time - you are not alone in this!All the best!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
wow i am going through a rough time with this..i have to get dentures 9 teeth pulled..and i have made myself sick over this..it has to be done because of notgoing to the dentist in the first place because of my fear of IBS in the chair..i just feel like i cannot do this.i told my dentist but his reply was wishy washy sayng well there are times you cannot get out of chair like in the middle of extraction.i wish i could take something at home before i go but i donot want to mix meds with something he may giveme....i got a fast heartbeat from the numbing shot to begin with!!!!!!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Oh Knot I really think if you take some imodium beforehand it would be fine. BUT .....just call & ask him instead of making yourself ill over worrying about it. And he is right.. there are seconds that maybe one cannot just pop out of the chair. But it is just seconds really. And for those "moments" breathe.. slowly and use a calm image to conentrate on. You can even practice using imagery at home before the procedure.But when you arrive or speak to him next... just tell him if you need a break you will be raising your hand. And if his hands do not come out of your mouth when you raise your hand.. simply begin sitting up... he'll get out of the way. LOLBut if you truly are not comfortable...with this dentist.. find another.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you aren't comfortable with your dentist you might need to find another one that is more sympathetic and willing to work with you. Discuss the procedures and discuss what meds you might need to take before hand and if they might interact with the dentistry meds. You can also talk to your own doctor about getting something like valium to help calm you down before the procedure, or the dentist might even be able to offer you something like that(laughing gas, sedation etc). Worrying and thinking about it before hand is WAY worse then actually going through with it. I just had to have a root canal done that took 2 different sessions, 3 hours each! It sucked but I was able to get through it. I booked the appointments for the afternoons,took some imodium, talked it through with my dentist and watched TV and listened to my Ipod during the procedure to keep my mind busy and off my IBS. I've also had to have many teeth extracted before. It doesn't take very long and I can't see there being much time when you wouldn't be able to leave the chair if you had to, besides the minute it actually takes to pull the tooth.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The numbing agent....novocaine...... will cause your heart to beat fast for a couple minutes, but it will soon pass.That still freaks me out too tho, because I have a heart arrhythmia already.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone.So glad to see I am not alone. It is so awful as life is difficult enough without these problems !For those who also have dental anxiety or fear, there is a whole Forum on the web just for that.I am in there too LOLIf anyone wants to know about it I can send a message.P

·
Registered
287 Posts
a few months ago I needed a course of dental treatment. Iwas so nervous about it. My heart was beating so fast the dentist could see it through my jumper. He said he couldn't give me local in case "I collapsed". Said it would be too dangerous etc. I told him to go ahead anyway, just wanted it over. He did it in the end but my fear was not from the dental work but more from the point of view of my IBS. I was too embarrassed to tell him but in the end I got away with it. Wish I was more open about things but somehow find it too embarrassing to discuss with anyone-even family and close friends.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Petra it would serve you well to try to get over that and at least talk to your immediate family, close friends and other medical professionals that you see (including your dentist).Try to understand....IBS is a medical condition and nothing to be ashamed of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had to have a lot of dental work done and I was terrified because of my IBS! I always try to go to the bathroom before I go there, or when I get there. There are also relaxation pills that dentists give out (they do give those out now) to relax the night before. I definitely take those
Sorry! Then, when I go into the chair, I close my eyes and meditate a little. It's frightening, yes, but I've been through three or four major dental surgeries and now cleanings! This is something I never thought I'd do with IBS, and I'm doing it now. Very proud of myself
. My dentist hums while doing her work, though, so it makes the experience much more relaxing and easier.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow I always thought I was a freak for being afraid to go to the dentist because of the IBS. Thanks for bringing this up Knot! I tried to avoid going as much as possible just because that is a very uncomfortable situation for me, which of course leads to dental problems and longer appointments when I finally go. One time I actually cried cause I was so freaked out and they were like jeez, we're just cleaning your teeth! But I just ask tell them if I need to get up and go, they don't seem to mind. Well I guess I'm not the only one who does this so they probably don't care. Maybe I'll just come clean next time and say hey, here's my situation, I'll probably be asking for short breaks because of this.And like KM with the bladder, one time I got so freaked out I had to pee every 20 min, massive amounts too, lol, very weird.

·
Registered
287 Posts
BQ-you are absolutely right about that. I just can't probably because of the close links I have with the medical profession so I know how it is perceived from their point of view. If I am ever cured then I'll speak up and campaign for better treatments, clinics and greater awareness of the condition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Knothappy,I hope you feel less alone now you see how many suffer with us ! If you want to talk more ,do send a message.IBS is such a difficult thing to organise life around !P

1 - 20 of 20 Posts