Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i have a Dentist APP on Monday, my bowels seem to be alot worse in the mornings and when i'm panicky. The Dentist does not know i have IBS as i have never discussed this with him, hopfully if i discuss it with him he'll understand and let me go to the toilet when i need to but the thing is dentists book there appointments so close, so i could end up making the next app very late if i attend the toilet which is why i think the dentist will not allow me to go, also he has female assistants which will be embarrasing if i have to explain my problem infront of her. Does anyone have any advice?Thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I went through years of not telling my dentist and being worried to death everytime I had to have something done (Which seems to be all the time) and then one day I just told him the truth. It made things so much better. I really wish I had told him before as it made things so much easier and then i didn't worry about going as much. He knew if I was a couple mins late that I would get there and he was great about it. Unfortunately he has gone to private dentistry now and I have had to find another NHS dentist. I'm a bit worried again as I now have a tooth where a filling has come out so I need to go and make an appointment with my new dentist next week. I think I'll go there and make an appointment first just so I can check out where the toilets are etc... first as that always calms me down to start with. I will be telling my new dentist straight away about the ibs and that I have it even worse when I'm worried and I hate going to the dentist. I'm not going wait years this time but say it straight away, as it really did help me a lot last time because I knew that they were aware of the problem, which in turn helped my worrying about it. My advice is to try and not be embarrassed about it. I remember being mortified in my early 20's about having to tell my old boss and felt so terrible but I guess the more you tell people the less you worry about it. I don't care what people think anymore which is a real turning point for me and it's taken me a very long time to get there, but I remember how hard it is when you are young. I hope it all goes well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.