Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was prescribed mebervrine by my doctor 2 weeks ago. This is the first medication I have tried. I had a really bad 4 months but by the time I was prescribed it things were manageable I was just getting a lot of pain most days.I think it has definitely helped but I am worried about taking it in the long term. I don't want to be taking it forever but is there an alternative? Is it likely that I will eventually be able to come off it? And am I going to become resistant to it?I forgot to take one before eating 3 days ago and I definitely felt the difference on the night time, I was very gassy and bloated. Then today I ate something without taking one first and half way through eating it I started getting really really bad stomach pains and had to rush to the toilet. I'm worried that it's going to make things worse.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well worryb Maybe you won't need to take it forever.. but just right now for awhile. It seems to be helping you so you could stick with it for awhile. It is an antispasmodic medication. Therefore you might want to see if using peppermint capsules help you instead. Peppermint is a natural antispasmodic of sorts. So the peppermint caps might be strong enough to help you. But I wouldn't worry about taking the mebeverine if the Dr thinks it might be good for you. It might be something you need to get yourself out of flare but perhaps you can use the peppermint to maintain things... ya know?Some folks find in the beginning with their IBS that a medication helps calm things down. Once it does calm down a bit.. then maybe one can back off a med and try something else if they want. But perhaps for you... it is a bit too early yet to go without it. However... if I were you and I wanted to try not taking it.. I would do that & see how I did with just the peppermint caps instead. All you can do is try and see if they help enough. One word of caution.. if you happen to have GERD or upper stomach issues like heartburn... peppermint may aggravate that.Now you might find the peppermint caps in a health food store or perhaps the pharmacy.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Funny you should mention this... I have been taking it since last November time (I think) I recently saw my doctor and asked him how long I will need to take it for... I mean it has not sorted me out 100% but I beleive it does help me. He said I can carry on having it for as long as I feel it is helping and that taking it long term has no issues. So if it is helping like you say just dont worry about it, just keep it on repeat.All the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.