Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Depression from IBS

463 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  mainjulie1962@hotmail.com 
#1 ·
Hello. I am sitting here at my desk suffering from awful pain and bloating. My body hasn't decided whether or not it will relieve itself. I have already made 2 trips to the bathroom this morning. It is literally my second office. IBS is such an embarrassing problem. I am caught in so many social situations where I just want to curl up and die. The worst had to been a night out with my boss and 2 other co-workers- he had extra tickets to the symphony, and asked us to go. It was the last thing I wanted to do. But feeling brave, I ate a hearty meal right before going, and sat for THREE hours in absolute agony, squirming and doing everything I could not to give off any sounds or odors. Someone at work commented I must be doing "coke" in the bathroom since I leave my desk so many times. I constantly think I am giving off a bad smell (can relate to several stories in the "leaky gas" section). Around the first week before and during my period it gets significantly worse. I've told my doctors my stomach bothers me at least 50% of the time. I take Bentyl which makes me anxious and it effects my speech - just one more reason my co-workers probably think I am doing drugs in the bathroom. As a result I get extremely depressed. On the weekends I lay around(usually suffering from some symptom of IBS) and sometimes never venture outside. I've tried EVERYTHING. Exercise, herbs, ancupuncture, peppermint tea, fennel, cutting out all wheat (thought maybe it was Celiac disease), stopped drinking beer (although still drink wine - it's the only thing that deadens the pain). Help, help, help. I am sick of telling people "my tummy hurts". I am sure I have lost friends this way. I am sure they thought I was blowing them off. If not that, they probably thought I acted distinterested around them, but really it was me suffering from pain, gas, bloating, or either D or B, that I could only focus on getting out of whatever social situation I was in. I am an attractive, educated, and successful 30 year old woman. I am engaged to a great guy, and luckily he understands my stomach ailments. I don't feel as embarrassed around him if it is just him and I. Anyway, this felt good. No one else besides other people that know what I am going through can sympathize. I honestly feel as though my personality is changing b/c of my IBS. I am literally losing a part of myself. I suffered from a sensitive stomach most of my life, and within the past 2 years it has gotten significantly worse. Finally found a GI doc and got a colonoscopy/endoscopy and of course everything was "normal". How can this be normal?

See less See more
#3 ·
Bean- I truly feel your pain. I too have attacks that get bad and make me feel anxious and depressed. I have alternating d/c and bloating and intense pain that moves but tends to settle on my left side. I overate last night and paid the price big time. It is hard to maintain a happy face while faced with a fear of social situations and eating. I find myself not wanting to eat just to avoid the problem. I have a very supportive spouse and two small children. I guess the only advice I can give is to hang in there. There will be better times. If your friends are truly your friends, they will understand if you explain the situation. I have had to several times, and though it was difficult, those who truly care will still be there for you. Hang tough. Stacey Syracuse

#4 ·
Bean,I too am succesful and married. I am a little overweight right now but I am attractive when I am am thin. I feel bad for you because I know exactly how you feel.I've tried a lot of techniques too. Sometime they work and sometimes they don't. Somebody mentioned to me in another post that they think I might have celiac disease so I'm going to cut out wheat, oat, barley etc. from my diet to see what if that helps.I get extremely fatigued and depressed. It's a never ending cycle. I try to be happy but I'm just so tired and gassy that it's hard to be a happy camper. I love my husband and two children so much but I have to say that this has caused major problems in my marriage. He tries hard to understand me but it does wear on him.I hope you find comfort at this site. I come here almost everyday.

#5 ·
Can so relate to all of the above. Right now I feel at an all time low. Today has been a bad day for me with D, and my stomach generally not liking me. I feel like I want to go to sleep and never wake up. I'm seeing my doctor anyway tomorrow, so going to ask if he can put me on anti-depressants. hopefully they will work two fold.

#7 ·
I can also relate to absolutely everything you have been feeling. Right now I am home when I'm supposed to be running some very important errands, but I just had to come back to be near my bathroom. I'm upset and worried because things won't get done. I never ever see my friends anymore, because I've been using my rare pain-free moments to spend time with my husband, so I can at least manitain THAT relationship. Count your blessings, though. At least your fiance is supportive, that's essential. And whenever you're feeling OK, ENJOY EVERY SECOND!!! I did that last weekend and it was wonderful, and it helps me feel less down in moments like right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.