Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is anyone doing about the depression that goes along with this life altering condition? The IBS-C affects every decision I make, everyday, everywhere I go and it even dictates where I can travel since the condition is so miserable it can't be ignored. Sadly, if I don't 'go' everyday, I get miserable bubbles of gas building up and my gut gurgles and pops and hurts like the dickens. I'm now in a deep depression and I can't snap out of it. Family doesn't understand and I'm sure they think I'm a hypochondriac. I don't know what to do anymore. Xanax does not help. It was prescribed for irritable bladder (great series of problems, right)? The ideal solution would be finding a means of going each day. But, everyone wants THAT answer. How do the rest of you cope???? nogo

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
CBT for IBS is a form of therpay for IBS and even depression.If a person is in deep depression, it is important to seek professional help on it. The depression adds greatly to pain and to IBS symptoms.People with IBS c, usally have feelings of but not limited too, irritablity, frustration and anger even, where as people with IBS d and d/c can have those symptoms and antisipatory anxiety.Both depression and IBS are treatable though with an intergrated approach. Diet, therapies and meds., which benefit most IBSers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
nogo, the Managing Anxiety and Depression is what you want for suggestions.One thing that I sure notice is that when my bloating and discomfort are bad, my thoughts are very, very depressed. All my CBT and ACT work goes out of the window. When the bloating lifts, my mood soars quickly.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies. At the risk of sounding stupid, what is CBT and ACT. I can't place what they stand for. It'll be a "DUH!" moment when you tell me, but right now I'm not sure. I am being treated for depression, thus the continuation of Xanax which should have been stopped after the bladder spasms subsided. My doc didn't want me off of it because I am so down, but it is BECAUSE OF THE IBS-C! IF I could just get that under control. I am like you, down and depressed and unable to focus until the much needed relief from the trip the the BR, then my mood soars and I am back to normal. It's crazy. Worse, I continually turn down travel plans with the family because of this IBS. I've now become the one who shrugs off any exciting trip like it doesn't matter when I desperately want to go, but know my life will be agony with the IBS-C. It seems an insurmountable issue. Thanks for the websites, I will investigate them as well. nogo

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nogo and twonk, I feel the same way. My mood is based on my BM. If I can kinda go in the morning, I'm full of hope! If not, I'm frustrated and angry and sad. I turn down travel plans all the time. I'm actually taking a trip for the first time in years this weekend. I'm really scared about many things: how I'm going to take my medicine, if I'm gonna get the right food, will I have a nice bathroom to myself, and what not. How old are you nogo?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.