Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been on Desipramine and found their constipation has worsened??I'm really desparate to get onto an antidepressant. Can't take SSRI's because I get major migraines but I heard the Tryciclics can increase constipation but despiramine has the least side-effects.Anyone know about this, or had any expeprience with it and has IBS-C?
The extrem pain, depression, trapped gas, bloating, constipation, eating, going to the bathroom is getting way too much for me, don't know if I can go on much longer
Hope someone can help.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
This information may help. It is my understanding that desipramine does have the least side effects of the tricyclic antidepressants. I am on a very low dose and it does not cause C. I take it with an SSRI for another condition.These are not in the tricyclic or SSRI category. They are in a special class of antidepressants: Desyrel, Wellbutrin, Remeron, Sinequan, Serzone, Effexor, LudiomilI know Remeron tends to cause C. Trazodone (Desyrel) is an old antidepressant that helps sleep even in low doses. It has few side effects and is said to be less effective for depression than the newer antidepressants.Wellbutrin has to be avoided if someone is prone to seizures. I really don�t know much more about it.As for Sinequan, Serzone, Effexor, and Ludiomil, I�m not familiar with them. People have mentioned using Effexor and tolerating it.Hope you find something that works. Let us know.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
This information may help. It is my understanding that desipramine does have the least side effects of the tricyclic antidepressants. I am on a very low dose and it does not cause C. I take it with an SSRI for another condition.These are not in the tricyclic or SSRI category. They are in a special class of antidepressants: Desyrel, Wellbutrin, Remeron, Sinequan, Serzone, Effexor, LudiomilI know Remeron tends to cause C. Trazodone (Desyrel) is an old antidepressant that helps sleep even in low doses. It has few side effects and is said to be less effective for depression than the newer antidepressants.Wellbutrin has to be avoided if someone is prone to seizures. I really don�t know much more about it.As for Sinequan, Serzone, Effexor, and Ludiomil, I�m not familiar with them. People have mentioned using Effexor and tolerating it.Hope you find something that works. Let us know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vikee,Thanks for all your help and information. Unfortunately I've tried all the antidepressants but am unable to tolerate the side-effects. The only one I haven't tried is Desiprimine, but lately I have been hearing that it is helping people with Diarrhea, so that kind of scares me in my situation as I am so extremely constipated.I think I'm going to have to give this drug a miss.The only other one left for me is the latest SSRI which is Celexa, I tried it once but I got the Migraines, I may however, give it another try. I just wish I could get off the laxatives, I thing that would be the biggest antidepressant for me!!Thanks a ton for your reply.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vikee,Thanks for all your help and information. Unfortunately I've tried all the antidepressants but am unable to tolerate the side-effects. The only one I haven't tried is Desiprimine, but lately I have been hearing that it is helping people with Diarrhea, so that kind of scares me in my situation as I am so extremely constipated.I think I'm going to have to give this drug a miss.The only other one left for me is the latest SSRI which is Celexa, I tried it once but I got the Migraines, I may however, give it another try. I just wish I could get off the laxatives, I thing that would be the biggest antidepressant for me!!Thanks a ton for your reply.

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
wheredid you hear that desipramine causes diarhea? this may be only for those prone to d in the first place. if i were you I'd try it as these side effects are different for everyone?tom

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
wheredid you hear that desipramine causes diarhea? this may be only for those prone to d in the first place. if i were you I'd try it as these side effects are different for everyone?tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
trbell,Sorry, I think you misunderstood me, I said it HELPS people who have diarrhea, it doesn't cause diarrhea, - if anythinig it causes constipation. All tryciclics are notorius for causing constipation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trbell,Sorry, I think you misunderstood me, I said it HELPS people who have diarrhea, it doesn't cause diarrhea, - if anythinig it causes constipation. All tryciclics are notorius for causing constipation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, thanks for all the information about desiprimine - it's certainly not a drug I would go near! The side effects are enough to make anyone depressed!! Glad I found out about it before asking the doctor, I wouldn't go near that medication.Thanks for saving me more disappointments!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, thanks for all the information about desiprimine - it's certainly not a drug I would go near! The side effects are enough to make anyone depressed!! Glad I found out about it before asking the doctor, I wouldn't go near that medication.Thanks for saving me more disappointments!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The side effects of desipramine are not worse but less than many of the other antidepressants! Go to any site with information on prescription medication as well as over the counter ones and you will see listed side effects from common to server, as well as warnings. The inserts on all Prescription Medication lists the dangers and side effects and % of people experiencing them. All this is taken into account before the FDA releases prescription medication for distribution.If you have concerns about side effects I urge you to read the listed possible side effects of any Medication you are now taking. You must know the facts, consider the pros and cons and then make a personal choice.Millions of people use desipramine and other antidepressants for years without side effects. The list of side effects does Not mean you will have that side effect! You have to learn how to read and interpret this information correctly.This is a good site explaining all Medication. Be sure you understand the total information given for a medication: http://www.rxlist.com/ It could even be that some SSRIs for you may actually help your headaches. Unfortunately there is no other way to know than to try it!!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The side effects of desipramine are not worse but less than many of the other antidepressants! Go to any site with information on prescription medication as well as over the counter ones and you will see listed side effects from common to server, as well as warnings. The inserts on all Prescription Medication lists the dangers and side effects and % of people experiencing them. All this is taken into account before the FDA releases prescription medication for distribution.If you have concerns about side effects I urge you to read the listed possible side effects of any Medication you are now taking. You must know the facts, consider the pros and cons and then make a personal choice.Millions of people use desipramine and other antidepressants for years without side effects. The list of side effects does Not mean you will have that side effect! You have to learn how to read and interpret this information correctly.This is a good site explaining all Medication. Be sure you understand the total information given for a medication: http://www.rxlist.com/ It could even be that some SSRIs for you may actually help your headaches. Unfortunately there is no other way to know than to try it!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Sweetie.My Hubby was on Zolof earlier this year and had very bad effects from it, Was changed to Effexor and did very well. He was on the lowest dose. When he came off it he had no problems at all. Every one has different effects from all drugs.Hope you can find something that will work well for you. Best wishes for a pain free life.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Sweetie.My Hubby was on Zolof earlier this year and had very bad effects from it, Was changed to Effexor and did very well. He was on the lowest dose. When he came off it he had no problems at all. Every one has different effects from all drugs.Hope you can find something that will work well for you. Best wishes for a pain free life.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks you guys for all your replies.I'm very cautious of medications, especially antidepressants, and always do research and read up about them before taking anything.Now thank goodness I'm certain NO ANTIDEPRESSANTS FOR ME, THAT IS A TOTAL TOTAL CERTAINTY.The SSRI's all give me headaches, migraines and fibromyalgia. Effexor, the miscellaneous type and especially the tricyclics cause constipation, bloating, water retention, blurred vision, fatigue, low energy, increased hunger, major, rapid weight gain etc - for me! The tryciclics act on so many neurotramittors they have sooo many side effects - these are so scary. Yes, I totally agree everyone reacts differently to medication and some poeple couldn't live without them, but for me, I'm so super sensitive, even to mild medications, they've been pure hell,- finally I've made peace with this issue. I thought for a while about going back on them, now thank goodness, I'm convinced what a crazy idea that was!!Thanks for all the useful information and help - I'm really so glad that these meds do help some, but they're not for everyone. Apparently between 20 - 25% of people can either not tolerate antidepressants or do not get results - I guess I'm just one of those people. I can live with that.Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts