Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya people,my first visit,hope some one can help.I'm at the end of my tether with this horrible condition.Thing is,I've only ever been offered 1 test (endoscopy)in the last 4 years of my suffering,and i dont even know what they were looking for!How can docs diagnose IB just by looking at you?Should i be asking for other tests to rule out anything else?Im at the docs every week and have just taken ANOTHER week off work,and im in pain every day,help!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dons,Maybe its time to look for a new doctor. The only way to diagnose IBS is to rule out everything else. An endoscopy looks for ulcers, problems with the esophagus, the upper part of the digestive system. Maybe you should ask for some additional tests if you are still feeling so rotten. If the doctor blows you off, time to move on (providing you can with insurance, etc.). It doesn't sound like he/she is taking you very seriously.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice Condor,I dont need to worry about insurance, im in sunny old england,but i am seriously thinking of taking out private healthcare,the doctors here are ####.im back there tomorrow to ask for more tests.cheers.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hello dons!Maybe you should ask for the complete gammit! Upper and lower GI studies, colonoscopy and blood tests. Your body is your temple... love it as such and I agree completely with Condor about moving to the next doc that will take you serious.Phew in my experience and listening to so many people... 1 out 5 docs might listen to you. Very scarey! Most docs treat IBS as a 'trash-basket-diagnosis with little or no tests to prove it.Good luck tomorrow!
Belinda

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Helloooo people!Just thought id let you know how things went at he docs today.i'm finally being taken seriously,and am waiting for a hospital appointment,to be given a "series" of investigations.Sounds a bit scary as he didnt explain AGAIN what these test entailed,although i did ask.Feeling a bit more positive about it though.It helps to know that im not the only one on this planet going through this,and that im not insane (well maybe just a bit).xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.