Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!!iam new to this board and could really use any suggestions or ideas anyone else suffering from IBS-C could share.i was diagnosed with IBS about 9 years ago when i was going through a very stressful time and was constantly worrying.i have been able to get a hold on it by taking peppermint oil capsules,drinking peppermint tea and lots of water and occasionally stool softeners.thats all worked up until now. once again i have been going through a really stressful time (constant worrying)my IBS is worse than its ever been-i usually have a couple (2) good days a week and the rest are bad-i have major bloating (looks like iam 6 months pregnant)lots of cramping(like mestrual cramps) irritability and lethargic.the most annoying is the bloating and cramping and of course the constipation.i still take my peppermint pills but they are not keeping me regular or doing anything for the cramping and bloating.i know this is all caused by the stress ive been through ,but does anyone have any ideas on reliving the bloating and cramping.my stress is gone now but my IBS hasnt calmed down yet.is there anyway of preventing these bouts of IBS that are caused by stress??

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Becci, i am just like you!!! i am constipated almost daily!! i have tried numerous things. i dring a glass of metamucil once in awhile, and for awhile i was eating a couple slices of ezikial brea(spelling?) it was working, then i got off track, and now i needto get bqackto the bread!!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You may want to do a search (under the post reply post new thread buttons) onMagnesiumEzekiel BreadFiber.You may aslo want to go the doctor about getting a prescription antispasmodic if the peppermint isn't working any more (peppermint is an antispasmodic). Also antidepressants effect the nerves in the gut as well and can block some of the pain your feeling.Mind-body techniques can be really useful as well (see the Cog Behav and Hypno board).Even though the immediate stress is gone, it may take awhile to get your mind and body out of stress mode.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.And from the as if IBS isn't enough of a worry file...from New Scientist's Feedback column: photographed on the door of a ladies' loo in the Sequoia National Park in California by reader Liz Masterman: "Please keep door closed to discourage bears from entering."

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I've tried all three of kmottus' suggestions and all three have worked for me.I'm currently taking 750mg of magnesium oxide each day, with my doctor's permission since the recommended daily dose is 400mg. This took approximately two to three weeks to start to make a difference in my C, but it was worth the wait.I've also taken Fibercon as the powder forms did not help. Of course, you must drink a tom of water with this! Even with the magnesium I try to drink a lot of water, but I find on those days I just can't get alot, it does not result in more C. Also, Equalactin (OTC) worked similarily to the Fibercon if you don't like to take large pills.The Ezekiel 4:9 bread did work immediately for me (I found it at a local health food grocery store) but again had to drink a lot of water with it.Ty

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Becci, I am also new to the board and I love all the help I can get.For me the Metamucil really helps I have been taking a glass during the day and one at night, by the morning I do go. I had just went a couple of weeks in extreme pain and the doc suggested trying it, within a few days it was working. Doc also said do not use laxatives as they will bind you up more.Before the Metamucil I was using fleet enemas at least once a week. I still have the huge bloated stomach though, but at least it's not pain. I also work shiftwork and that really wrecks havoc on the system.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't like exercise and I don't like water but they both help. If you're feeling crampy (no matter what time of day), I usually pace until I can stand up straight and then it helps if I take a walk. It helps me get rid of that gas (and when you're outside you can release it!!) and sometimes when I get back home I can go easier. Also, I keep a water bottle available to me at all times. At first I consciously drank it but now that I've got in the habit I search for water at the first pang of thirst. It also helps for me to drink Brita water because I don't like regular water. Dasani is really good too but I can't afford to buy 3 or 4 of those a day!! I hope some of this was helpful. I just started taking Fibercon (recommended by my Dr.) and haven't seen much change yet but it does seem to be working, gently. That I like. Good luck, let us know what's helping!-Amy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi becci, I am also IBS-C. Easy stretching exercises can help with stress and get the bowels working as we usually tend to sit or lay all curled up. Eat smaller sized meals to help with the bloating. Try not to sit on the pot too long straining - I have read 5-7 minutes, and then get out of that bathroom!!I have also read that not everyone has a daily bowel movement and that is okay. Of course, discuss this with your health care worker. Good Luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.