Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is on the "lemonade" detoxification program and she has shed 60 pounds in about 39 days and all of her IBS symptoms are gone. This is the detox program. I plan to start it tomorrow.HOW OFTEN?Follow the diet for a minimum of 10 days or more-up to 40 days and beyond may be safely followed for extremely serious cases. The diet has all the nutrition needed during this time. Three to four times a year will do wonders for keeping the body in a normal healthy condition. The diet may be undertaken more frequently for serious conditions.HOW TO MAKE IT?2 Tablespoons lemon or lime juice (approx. ½ lemon)2 Tablespoons genuine maple syrup (Not maple flavored sugar syrup)1/10 Teaspoon cayenne pepper (red pepper) or to tasteWater, medium hotCombine the juice, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper in a 10 oz glass and fill with medium hot water. (Cold water may be used if preferred.)Use fresh (organic) lemons or limes only, never canned lemon or lime juice nor frozen lemonade or frozen juice.She has bad constipation, diahrrea, nauseau, gas, acid reflux (just like all of us). She started the detox about 1.5 months ago and has literally shed like 60 pounds and she feels really good. Starting tomorrow she begins to add foods (veggie/fruit/fish) only back into her diet.Has anybody else heard about this detox regime?Thanks,Chris

G

·
Your friend has been 1.5 months on nothing but that recipe you gave? Ewwww, don't know about that. Isn't she craving a big ole cheeseburger? Hahaha, just kidding. I suppose that concotion diminishes the appetite, huh? Is there a website for this detoxification? Thanks.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
hmmm! what does this taste like? im not sure id try it, im not knocking it, each to there own.I have never heard of it, does it really make you lose weight? mind you i could do with losing a few stones.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:The diet has all the nutrition needed during this time. Three to four times a year will do wonders for keeping the body in a normal healthy condition. The diet may be undertaken more frequently for serious conditions
Is this a joke? This is one very unhealthy diet and to use as a "treatment" for "serious condition" is just bad advice

·
Registered
10,398 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
#### who knows, at this point I'll try anything. I'm desperate to make my ailments go away. I'm going to try the fast and keep an online Blog about my experience. If anything, it'll be nice to give my bowels a break.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A day of this and I'm DONE. I feel ill. I don't think the lemons liked me. FLUX I think you are right. I think I better not fast. I dont' know how my friend did this for so many days. It's made me nauseated (sp) and it feels like I have a migraine and it's just wrong.However, I haven't smoked since last night at 6 p.m. So, my quitting smoking is going fine. I've noticed something. My stomach has not had one cramp in it except the nausea brought on by the lemonade. I wonder if smoking has been causing my IBS symptoms.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
It certainly contributed GREATLY to mine. (The first 3 attacks each came immediately after having a cigarette one morning at work.) Unfortunately, quitting didn't stop it for me.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Lemons are very acidy and will cause stomach upset. A few years ago a friend of mine told me that drinking water w/a lemon in it will help you lose weight b/c it is a diuretic. Well I drank 8-10 glasses per day for a few weeks and let me tell you how bad my stomach got. It was horrible. D and cramping. I haven't had lemon anything since. But you don't know how something is going to effect you unless you try. Sorry you had to go through that to find out.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Your friend should also have warned you about some of the dizzying effects of detoxification. As the stored toxins get released into your system it is normal to feel rotten. The worst of that usually passes within a couple of days to the first week.Well, here's hoping that not smoking anymore will be enough.Mark

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Your friend should also have warned you about some of the dizzying effects of detoxification. As the stored toxins get released into your system it is normal to feel rotten.
False The body does not normally store toxins. Fasting is what allows toxins to accumulate. The body is normally building and destroying itself (metabolism). That produces toxins. The liver and the kidneys work together to flush out these toxins. They need outside water to do so. If you stop drinking as part of a fast, there is no way to flush these toxins out of the system.In addition, fasting causes the body's metabolism to change given that is no longer receiving energy from outside nutrients (fats, carbohydrates, and proteins). This change produces more toxins (ketosis) than ordinary metabolism.
quote: I don't think the lemons liked me. FLUX I think you are right. I think I better not fast.
However, I don't believe what you experiencing was caused by this. It takes time for the body to switch gears and produces more toxins. I'm not sure what caused what you experienced. For one thing, it could have been an idiosyncratic reaction. For another, it could be psychological. People may be taught to believe that skipping a meal should make one feel ill and it then does.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I have done a liver cleansing fast in the past which was not as restrictive as yours. It was done as part of a treatment for eczema. I did not throw up but felt very spaced out and just plain sh*tty for the first few days. My d carried on unabated, although it was more just bile until I began eating, again. Then I was 2 weeks of rice and overcooked veggies with lots of water. I lost weight and stopped snoring (I have apnea) and the eczema improved, until I got back to my rotten diet, again. I often think I should do one again; but I am lazy about stuff like that. I have friends who do cleanses annually. Their reactions are much the same as mine were. Like I mentioned elsewhere, I have heard of the lemon/maple syrup/cayenne blend before.Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
I suffer from IBS and since I've had to cut out almost everything from my diet I find myself drinking this "detox" diet minus the syrup and pepper. Although a while back before suffering from IBS and I was over weight I tried that diet for one day, it tasted too much like lemonade for me. I stopped it but now that Im suffering through IBS symptoms I've lost weight and I drink lemon-juice water almost everyday.I've read how some people don't like lemon juice water because it hurts them however I've had no issues with it.Any diet which makes you only drink liquid isn't that great idea of a diet.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I have done a liver cleansing fast
The only way a liver could be "dirty" is for it to be sick: fatty liver, cirrhotic liver, or fibrotic liver something happens after years of significant alcoholic drinking or hepatitis. The only way to "cleanse" it is to replace it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.