Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,Its been months since I was on here last. However I have found out that when I use Detrol, My IBS does not act up. I am thrilled that this works. What a relief it is to not have any IBS problems. We went away for the weekend and stayed at a friends home. I was so glad not to have any problems. I would guess this subject has already been on here , but I had to tell you all about how satisfied I was with the results.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Detrol"What is tolterodine? Tolterodine relieves spasms of the bladder.Tolterodine is used to treat overactive bladder with the symptoms of urinary frequency, urinary urgency, and urinary incontinence.Tolterodine may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide."http://ibsgroup.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/43110261/m/861106371There maybe a connection to mast cells, IC and IBS. There maybe a connection to the effects of Detrol on both conditions. Improve one also and the other might improve perhaps as well.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
my partner is on this meds i think its also called detustritol (prob spelt wrong) its for controlling the bladder and yes your right eric it is also used to relieve SPASMS of the bladder

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Gottago,i've been thinking of Detrol for a while now.Which type of IBS do you had?Do you really feel free of it?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Detrol is in the same class of drugs as Levsin and Bentyl which are used for IBS.I asked once how the ones for the bladder know they are for the bladder and the ones for the bowel know they are for the bowel and it is all about which they tested and marketed them for is the best answer I got.They effect smooth muscle and that is both in the bladder and the colon.Detrol is marketed for Over-Active Bladder not for any kind of IBS, but it is an antispasmodic so should work for IBSers in the subset that antispasmodics work for.K.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Will it makes C worst?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hi, y'all: I took Detrol for about a month. It really works. HOwever, I don't have any insurance or money right now, so I'm not taking it anymore. It did not exaserbate my constipation cycle at all. Actually, I did quite well during that time. Of course, that is just my experience. Cough medicine constipates me, so what do I know?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am IBS-C with gas. We went out of town last weekend and stayed with friends. I took the detrol on a Thursday evening and was IBS free until Sunday morning. Then the gas started in again. I did not have anymore detrol with me. So I had to suffer until I got home. Even though detrol is for bladder control, it helps IBS for me.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
gottogo,i'm also C with gas.Did you got dry mouth with it?I already have dry mouth and it's listed as a side effect.I think i need it.

·
Registered
923 Posts
What I mean by "it really works" is that I didn't pee in my pants every time I coughed, sneezed, bent over, or lifted something weighing more than 5 pounds. Gee! Isn't it embarrassing enough that I poop in my pants on a regular basis or have leaky gas so bad that I had to start my own business so I couldn't get sent home from work anymore?
My life is so embarrassing!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.