Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago my GERD was acting up so I started taking DGL (de-glycyrrhizinated licorice) again. Not a lot--one tablet during the day at some point, and one before bed. I vaguely recall, though, that I stopped taking it because I thought it might be upsetting the bowel. Now I'm struggling with a bout of something or other that's been hanging around for 9 days. Liquid diarrhea, 15 times a day or more, with periumbilical rumbling and griping.It does respond to bismuth and I think it's probably something with a microbial cause, but has anybody had that type of reaction to DGL?(also posted in GERD area)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I thought licorice was used as a laxative and have heard I should stay as far away from it as possible if I am prone to D.Leslie

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am fairly new to all of this so please forgive my ignorance but what is GERD. I have IBSD and am looking for any advice I can get from people you who have the same problem.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jennifer and Leslie. The laxative property apparently doesn't reside in the glycyrrhizin component that is removed in DGL, if I read Jim Duke's herbal database correctly (if interested see: http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke --front door http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgspub/xsql/....xsql?taxon=450 --activities of licorice )Sounds like I will have to keep that in mind when using DGL and should think twice about using the maximum dose.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pondman, GERD is gastroesophageal reflux disease, or problems associated with abnormal exposure of the esophagus to digestive acid from the stomach. If you have heartburn more often than about once a week, chances are you've got it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't think I do. I guess I should ask my Dr.I do get a werd feeling when I drink a beer sometimes. Thank-you for your prompt response.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My main problem is I have little control of my bowels. I thought everything was fine about 6 months ago so I took myself off the meds I was on and my Dr. said Okay but yesterday I had a REAL BAD situation so I started taking my med. again and started doing more research on my own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts