Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The diets followed by diabetics should be fairly good for IBS.They tend to limit sugars (particularly frucotse)and refined starches that can cause diarrhea. Be careful with diabetic products that use sugar alcohols for sweeteners (sorbitol, manitol) as they can loosen stools.The whole grains may be good both for the diabetes and for some people with IBS as the fiber in them may be helpful.Since the diabetes will kill you and the IBS will only make you wish you were dead eating for the diabetes is the more important of the two.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The diets followed by diabetics should be fairly good for IBS.They tend to limit sugars (particularly frucotse)and refined starches that can cause diarrhea. Be careful with diabetic products that use sugar alcohols for sweeteners (sorbitol, manitol) as they can loosen stools.The whole grains may be good both for the diabetes and for some people with IBS as the fiber in them may be helpful.Since the diabetes will kill you and the IBS will only make you wish you were dead eating for the diabetes is the more important of the two.K.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I don't have diabetes, but I do have Insulin Resistance concurrent with another problem. I'm on a diabetes drug called Glucophage for the IR, and my diet is (generally) high fiber, low fat, and low in refined sugars and starches. I do eat potatoes, rice, etc., but am careful to eat say lots of salad, a decent-sized fillet of fish, and a small potato or half serving of rice. This is difficult to do this time of year, but I usually fill up on turkey and fruit salad and say no thank you to sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie...

·
Registered
824 Posts
I don't have diabetes, but I do have Insulin Resistance concurrent with another problem. I'm on a diabetes drug called Glucophage for the IR, and my diet is (generally) high fiber, low fat, and low in refined sugars and starches. I do eat potatoes, rice, etc., but am careful to eat say lots of salad, a decent-sized fillet of fish, and a small potato or half serving of rice. This is difficult to do this time of year, but I usually fill up on turkey and fruit salad and say no thank you to sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts