Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been diagnosed today after putting up with D for 2 years!My DR has suggested a change in diet to see what sets me off - i have a good idea dairy, spicy, alcohol usually has me in the bathroom!I would really appreciate advice from fellow sufferers - i practically live on imodium now - can anyone suggest changes that will help me?Thanks in advance xx

·
Registered
408 Posts
Look around the forums, you'll see lots of suggestions. Everyone is different. Calcium works for some with D, probiotics work for some, hypnosis works for some, certain drugs work for one and others for another. People on this forum are great at answering questions and being helpful and supportive!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was diagnosed from my symptoms, and since changed docs. My new doc ordered a colonoscopy. In the meantime, she told me to go off the meds my first doc gave me, a tablet call dicetel. It seemed to work ok but made bms a little more solid and sometimes dry, and since I have hemmerhoids and a fissure, that is NOT GOOD. I changed my diet, cutting out fried foods and chocolate
I also quit smoking,didn't really give it time to make a difference... and then started AGAIN.....and WOW or should I say OOOWWWWWW, my IBS was instantly aggrivated BEYOND BELIEF. I quit again, and it seems to have calmed down .... I don't know if anyone here is a smoker, but it reeks havoc on my bowels!!! Anywho, that's it for now....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi monkey Moo,Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.I too, suffer from IBS-D and I find it so hard to see what triggers my attacks food wise.Like you said, of course greasy foods,caffeine,alcool...etc. do aggravate the bowels much worse than other foods would but I find it very hard to pin point what exactly I should and shouldn't eat.I can have one meal today and it not bother me at all, but I can have the same meal tomorrow, and feel like i'm dying because of the cramps and constant diarhea.I think everyone is different when it comes to different foods and unfortunately i've learnt that I need to discover on my own what I can and can't digest. After two years, i'm still trying to figure it out
I hope things work out for you.Take Care

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi BlueBird,Smoker here too
!! I definately think the smoking makes my IBS much worse, but I love it too much to quit...it's my only comfort zone...that and my heating pad
Good luck with the quitting smoking...I know it's tuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I am also new to this. I suffer IBS-D and it is horrible. I do smoke and drink alot of coke cola and I have noticed that if i dont drink alot of soda and mix in a couple glasses of cranberry juice my bm is better the next day. Dairy foods are a big no no, I can eat spicey foods in moderation, before I knew what to do with this problem I was counting places I could stop in case of a bathroom attack hit. My advice is, its not all in your head but you have to live it, be a part of it, and of course love it. It doesn't go away and you have to have a person that has delt with it to talk to, to understand the pain and annoyance that you live with. In my family its my mother and 2 of my sisters, I personally think my mothers family graceously passed this trait to us. Yes we are miserable and sometimes hurt in pain for days, but we manage. Look at it like this, when planning a trip take extra clothes and a roll of toilet paper. Not trying to be funny but really dont let it get ya down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.