Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a breath test done and I was found to have had a bacteria infection. I was given antibiotics and I've been on it for 5 days and I've only seen a slight improvement at best. When you get a bacteria infection that causes IBS can your symptoms remain after the bacteria is killed? If so will i recover in time?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
SIBO bacteria are not infectious bacteria, they are normal colon bacteria in the wrong place.No antibiotic does all things for all people. You may need to be retested and if that antibiotic didn't do the job you may need a different one.Is it only a 5 day course? Some people may need a full course which may be more than 5 days depending on the antibiotic before they see a big difference.In Post-Infectious IBS (which you can't test for with a breath test) a good portion of people who have it will get better in a few years after the IBS starts. That bacteria or virus is not causing an ongoing problem, but was killed off and the IBS is from the "friendly fire" the body takes when the immune system goes into kill mode.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm on day 6 as I type this in right now. I just don't know if I shouldbe worried. I have been noticing, on a positive note that my bloating and gas has decreased monumentally.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Bloating and gas could be the big symptoms that the bacteria might cause. AFter all part of the problem with SIBO is the bacteria get to the food too early and you get gas before you should from any given meal. Although killing off colon bacteria can also mean the gas volume gets reduced, they make a lot of gas even in someone with SIBO, after all even with SIBO you have way more bacteria in the colon than in the small intestine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You might want to try a probiotic like Florastor (my pick) or Culturelle. Both have helped a lot of people who are on a course of antibiotics that has upset their gut flora - in Florastor's case by providing a temporary flora that does some of the jobs that regular gut flora do, and in Culturelle's by repopulating good bacteria in the colon. Florastor is a yeast and Culturelle is supposedly antibiotic-resistant, so you should be able to take either along with the antibiotics. You might want to try that and see if your symptoms don't improve.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Also I think it can depend on the type of antibiotic & of course the type of bacteria. When I had C-Diff it took a full 7-8 days on Flagyl before I began to see a 'slight' decrease in diarrhea. So sometimes it can take awhile to kick in.Hope you feel better soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts