Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm glad to find this board. For about 4 months I've been dealing with severe pain, bloating, cramps and weight loss. I'm 5'4 and went from 125 to 104 in a month due to being unable to eat. Since then I have healed, sort of on my own from what I can tell. Yesterday, I finally got in with a great Gastroenterologist and was told I have IBS. The problem is, my bowel movements are completely normal, and it seems as if everyone lists diarrhea or constipation as a symptom of IBS. Could I have IBS without this symptom? I get bloating after I eat and really bad pain in my abdomen but it doesn't always happen, especially in the last month or so, as I seem to be getting better. Thanks for any help you can give me!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Finally. Someone else whose symptoms sound exactly like mine. I was diagnosed with IBS by my Doctor, but I have been wondering all along if that's really what's causing my symptoms (lots of tummy pain and cramps, loss of appetite, a fair amount of weight loss), especially because I had recurring fevers (every 3-4 days) for a few weeks (though this has since gone away) and I have quite a bit of nausea (with vomiting about once every two weeks since I've started feeling sick), as well as the lack of diarrhea/constipation. As such, some of my symptoms seem to follow IBS, whereas some don't and some key ones seem to be missing, which is why I am hesitant to believe that this is what I have. (I was also diagnosed with slight anemia, though I've been taking iron supplements and am not sure what part that may play in this).Since we seem to have similar symptoms and you say you're getting better...what have you done to improve? I've been eating much better and more regularly than before, but I've only noticed very slight improvements.Having whatever it is that I do have has basically kept me in the house for the last month and a half, as I find that walking around brings tummy pain and nausea almost every time. Luckily my family and boyfriend have been very supportive.I'm also curious if there's any medication that could help the constant pain that seems appropriate for my situation. I'd appreciate any sort of responses that may help to determine if this could still possibly be IBS. My Doctor is very experienced and trustworthy, so I have no reason not to trust his diagnosis, I just feel that my symptoms do not match those key IBS ones.Thank you very much for your time and any advice.

G

·
Some people divide up the functional bowel disorders in various ways.Some tend to call ALL of the IBS.Many pull them apart.IBS is pain AND bowel habit changes.If you have one or the other it can still be functional but would be functional pain, or functional diarrhea, etc.The treatments for this pain is the same as treatments for IBS pain (usually antispasmodics and antidepressants)Nausea is often a upper GI problem, but may be functional as well. There are functional upper GI and functional lower GI disorders.K.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.