Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months and months of this ache in my left side every single day and various tests, the last being the Colonoscopy i was finaly diagnosed with IBS, sort of relief knowing its nothing serious but now my body decided to start giving me other issues!I have now start suffering for a realy horrible tighening feeling in my throat, my neck aches and it feels hard to swallow unless i'm eating or drinking as then it feels normal! I do have slight stomach ache in my midrift along with my ever constant left sided ache!I went to the Docs who has gave me some Omeprazole to see if that settles it down, hopefully it will as this is ridiculous! I did suffer from a sickly feeling months back but this time its a tighteing (choking) type feeling.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You can have functional disorders of the esophagus that often give some sort of tight feeling, etc.While IBS technically is only in the colon and everything in the upper GI is technically divided up into a bunch of other disorders, in the clinic it really doesn't matter so a lot of doctors use IBS for all functional GI illnesses, mostly as it is the most common and a lot of people have multiple functional things going on.Would it make you feel better if the doctor called it
Functional esophageal disordersGlobus a sensation of a lump, something stuck, or a tightness in the throat Functional chest pain the feeling of chest pain, presumably of esophageal origin (can be confused with cardiac pain which must be examined) Functional heartburn persistent burning sensation in the absence of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), a motility disorder, or a structural explanation Functional dysphagia the sensation of difficulty swallowing
one of those things even if he is going to give you the same treatment no matter what name he gives it as there isn't a different drug for each different thing?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Kathleen, my IBS diagnosis is seperate from the tightness feeling i have now got as this has only just started the past week or 2, as mentioned i seen the Doc yesterday about this and funnily enough Globus was mentioned. My point in posting was first to let you all know I do have IBS and secondly just to have a moan about now suffering from another issue.I have to give the Omeprazole a go for 2 weeks and if its no better then I have to go back, hopefully it will go or ease as its realy anooying and some what unnerving the tighening sensation i have!Thanks again for your reply

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It sounds like a really annoying sensation. Just sometimes people are upset when they get the wrong functional GI diagnosis and until we have something other than X drug for Y symptom it isn't that critical they get the exact name. Once they've ruled out the other stuff it doesn't really matter which conditions is causing the symptom (for those functional GI conditions that overlap in symptoms) as the same drug is used. If in the future we find different treatments for different functional GI illnesses then it will matter a lot in the clinic which of the dozens of functional GI labels it gets. The other option is we will have a better way to test for underlying issues and things may get regrouped based on something other than this subset of all possible symptoms vs that subset of possible symptoms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts