Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Firstly, I'm a 26 year old with 2 autoimmune conditions and a few other chronic pain conditions(along with horrible anxiety!) and as long as I can remember I've had bathroom troubles but it didn't become noticeable and affect me until my late teens/early 20s

into mid-twenties and now when it seems to have gotten at its worst.

I was recently dx'ed with what the gastro doctor thinks is IBS after a few months of suffering an increase of various symptoms I've had for the last few years(abdominal pain*left and right side and sometimes the front*,back pain,going too much,incomplete evacuation,thin and loose stools,joint pain,lots of burping,bloating,nausea,along with a little bit of bright red blood I've only seen on a few occasion in the last few months(Upon giving him more info on the blood he didn't seem to think it was that alarming and thought it was probably from the anal canal but still put it in his notes that it may require a colonoscopy if it stays around but he didn't order one yet*

Thus far, I've had an occult blood test done on my stool, blood work(cbc & c-reactive protein), and other stool tests which have all come back normal(still waiting on the last stool tests tho).I even had an ultrasound done two years prior for ab pain that came back normal.

The gastro doctor did reassure me that he thinks all the symptoms seem highly likely to be IBS(and not cancer like I was freaking out about) so the treatment plan he put me on is Fibercon and that he wanted me to stop a medication that i've been taking that he thinks may be contributing to my symptoms and that he'll see me again in 6 weeks.

I'm just wondering if it is safe to assume ibs and never undergo a colonoscopy or if i should insist on getting one later on even if the bleeding doesn't happen again to be sure IBS is what I truly have and that nothing else is going on(my anxiety is still making me think it's the worse especially after I read horror stories online of young ppl getting colon cancer diagnosed as ibs at first)

Any help/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Update:I'm almost a week into taking fibercon and have only seen a little bit of improvement. I haven't been going as much(an improvement) and it does seem to have bulked up some(but then gets thin again sometimes) and the burping and nausea has gotten better but it hasn't helped much with the abdominal cramping which is bad today(and of course made me stress over it thus making it worse) how long would it take to really see if this stuff works? I have a wedding I'm attending soon and I was hopefully I wouldn't be feeling like crap at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not embarrassed. I would rather have just had it done and over with but of course doctors make you check everything out before doing the big tests right off the bat in low-risk ppl.So now I have to hope it isn't anything sinister getting worse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting, a colonoscopy was one of the first things (each time I saw a new doctor, couple of years apart) that was done. I had all of the above tests done as well, and I believe the doctor gets a pretty good idea of the overall situation with all the tests you have gone through - esp. incl the ultrasound (even if its 2 years back).

Having said that, I think this may be more of a psychological case, which implies that you should get the colonoscopy done either way. I wouldn't be afraid to point that you are worried and want to know for sure that it is only IBS and nothing organic (like cancer). How we perceive, think and feel have a big impact on our wellbeing, and worrying because a colonoscopy has not been conducted only has downside potential as it may contribute to your symptoms.

That is a downright logical reason to get a colonoscopy done. But then again, I don't know how it works with healthcare over there for you guys in the US

All the best!

Seb

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was diagnosed 40 years ago with a barium enema. I had a colonoscopy 12 years ago and wont be getting another unless something bad happens eg I start bleeding.

The fact is colonoscopies are not risk free - 5 out of 1000 have serious complications with perforation (often leading to death) in 1 in 1000. Getting one is based on risk vs reward. Most people diagnosed with IBS using the Rome 3 criteria have just that with at least a 95% confidence. Yes - cancer can sometimes mimic IBS and without question there are people out there diagnosed with IBS who have cancer. But the interesting thing is this - studies have shown if you meet the Rome 3 criteria the chance of you having Colon cancer is the same or even lower than the general population:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/708947_1

Considering serious complications occur in .5% of cases, and your chance of having it is the same as the general population I would personally get a Sigmoid exam if I hadn't already had a Colonoscopy. And you only really need one - see the following:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2010nl/aug/colon.htm

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm not embarrassed. I would rather have just had it done and over with but of course doctors make you check everything out before doing the big tests right off the bat in low-risk ppl.So now I have to hope it isn't anything sinister getting worse.
And in the case of Colonoscopies with good reason - .5% have serious complications.

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions and info everyone. I still have a few weeks to make up my mind about the colonoscopy but now I'm going through other health problems(my body parts have begun to get a sunburned feel to them even tho they look normal) that have cropped up and just to be safe that it isn't the fibercon doing it I was advised by my gastro(who informed me he's never heard of that side effect) to stop it just in case.Now i'm not taking anything for my ibs(or to help me go since I had to stop the mag Citrate I was taking) and my anxiety is worse which I know makes things worse.Hopefully my healthy eating habits keeps me regular in the mean time.

Ugh,my health problems are never ending :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: A week or more ago I begun taking fibercon again after my gastro(over my healthportal thing) said he was very sure I wasn't having a reaction to it.Then after going back and for to my pcp regarding my new health issues I found out I have a deficiency in Vit D and since I was still having my stomach problems my pcp decided to be on the safe side and ordered a CT scan with contrast that I'll have done in a few days.

The contrast is in the refrigerator cooling until then.WIsh me luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update:I have good news and kinda weird news that I need some help with.

Good news: The CT Scan with contrast was unremarkable and all my organs were normal.

weird news: I'm full of poop according to the report "There is a large amount of stool in the right and trasnverse colon.The left colon is decompressed.There is feculent material in the terminal ileum.There are no dilated bowel small loops.No free air or free fluid identified"

It was suggested I take Miralax and that they would forward my scans over to my gastrologist who could take a look at it but why would I be getting plugged up despite the fact I've been pooping everyday and the fibercon helped me not go so much and bulked my stool up like it was suppose to.Also it says my left colon is decompressed is this anything to worry about????

Also, my gastro(the last time I msg him on the patient portal when i stopped talking fibercon) told me to continue with fibercon and that he didn't recommend anything else at the moment even when i was fearing I was getting constipated again.Since taking the fibercon again i've been going everyday 2-3 times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.