Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I was glad to find this forum. I know the benifits of group support is really important.My story started about 2 yrs ago...had gone to Mexico 6month prior and came bac with a bug and was really sick with a gastoenteritis....the boom went t bed one night and woke up sick, and still am ....all test negative from colonoscopy to gastroscopy to celiac testng ...noboby could say why i had severe abdominal pain and weight loss , dirrhea ,constipation, malabsoition, anxiety, no sleep ...did i miss any
anyway saw this GI Dr. well knowm and he put the finger on the diagnosis, of post infectious IBS...now I'm on trasodonto slow my bowell and stop the dirrhea..here are my questions. I've been on a gluten free diete for 7 months now and of course the Dr said not to change my diete yet so we can see if the meds are helping me....he doesn't think im intolerant to gluten...anyway i guess time will tell....how long before i see any improvement ...months years....I would love some feedback. I have good days then all of a sudden bad days and nights...It seem like I have a fear of eating...can I eat this, can I eat that...
will i get better with meds......i need support. I find it really difficult to go from an athletic busy person to a sit down on couch with hot water bottles person.for the moment i off work..exausted from no sleep and constant pain in the belly...anyone....Pierrette

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
GI infections commonly START IBS even if your body got rid of the pathogen just fine.Fighting off the infection can cause damage to the nerves and other control parts of the colon and if it isn't getting all the right instructions at all the right times it acts funny.PI-IBS does NOT mean ongoing GI infection. It is when the infection clears but you have GI symptoms. Probably most people with IBS have PI-IBS but often they don't get seen for the initial infection.The reason you have the severe pain and all the symptoms is the PI-IBS. It by itself can cause all sorts of symptoms. Kinda like you dropped a glass of something in the remote control and now the TV acts funny. Most medical tests look at the TV, which can do all the right things, but it gets all the wrong signals at all the wrong times so it is like your colon changes the channel every time your body tries to tell it to change the volume.PI-IBS often resolves itself in the 1-5 year range. Being anxious, stressed out, or upset with it tends to make it last longer. You might need to work on that side of things more than the what diet to eat side of things.If the medication isn't enough to control it, you need to go back to the doctor. Some people need a combo of things or need to try a few things.You might read up on probiotics, sometimes they help. Self-hypnosis sometimes helps get the control system back under control as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.