Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of lurking again I am wonder another thing. After reading some post where the poster came here and said they diagnosed themselves after reading I pondered:How many here are self diagnosed?I know there are many diagnosed by MDs but how many by a GI?This is not put anyone down but just to get an idea.Also how many went to the doctor after visiting here and were then diagnosed?Were there test involved or just verbal?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Refered to GI after GP thought I had IBS. GI doc confirmed it.I've two work ups of blood/urine/stool samples. A barium x-ray, ultrasound and flex sig.I found this BB after I was diagnosed, although my GP doc recommeded finding a place like this for support (great doc!).Ty------------------There is nothing so strong as gentleness,and there is nothing more gentle as real strength.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Refered to GI after GP thought I had IBS. GI doc confirmed it.I've two work ups of blood/urine/stool samples. A barium x-ray, ultrasound and flex sig.I found this BB after I was diagnosed, although my GP doc recommeded finding a place like this for support (great doc!).Ty------------------There is nothing so strong as gentleness,and there is nothing more gentle as real strength.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy along with a ton of blood tests, also a liver scan. I have had my gall bladder removed for nothing I think, they thought it was causing diarreah-guess what- not!!! it is worse than ever. Sometimes I wish I had something that has a name besides IBS, everyone says that is just a catch all when they cannot find anything wrong with your stomach, but do not want to lose your business by saying it is all in your head!!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy along with a ton of blood tests, also a liver scan. I have had my gall bladder removed for nothing I think, they thought it was causing diarreah-guess what- not!!! it is worse than ever. Sometimes I wish I had something that has a name besides IBS, everyone says that is just a catch all when they cannot find anything wrong with your stomach, but do not want to lose your business by saying it is all in your head!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was referred to a GI by my family doctor after being tested for an ulcer, taking ulcer meds, going for an ultrasound of my gall bladder, pancreas, and liver, and then getting more blood work. The GI diagnosed me with IBS - also had a flex sig. I found this board after while I was surfing the Net. It has been a great source of information and support for me!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was referred to a GI by my family doctor after being tested for an ulcer, taking ulcer meds, going for an ultrasound of my gall bladder, pancreas, and liver, and then getting more blood work. The GI diagnosed me with IBS - also had a flex sig. I found this board after while I was surfing the Net. It has been a great source of information and support for me!!!!!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I was diagnosed back in 1994 by a consultant in Tropical & Infectious Diseases at the Royal Free Hospital in London. Not the usual route! He as seeing me for M.E/CFS as at that time he was the only authority/interest on the illness. No tests were involved. He gave me the diagnosis because my symptoms fitted the IBS picture, and because IBS is pretty common in M.E patients. I didn't find this board until 1999.------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I was diagnosed back in 1994 by a consultant in Tropical & Infectious Diseases at the Royal Free Hospital in London. Not the usual route! He as seeing me for M.E/CFS as at that time he was the only authority/interest on the illness. No tests were involved. He gave me the diagnosis because my symptoms fitted the IBS picture, and because IBS is pretty common in M.E patients. I didn't find this board until 1999.------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First went to GP, got referred to NHS Gastroenterologist who stuck cameras in every orifice. Nothing else doing, waiting for months for answers/appointments while getting sicker.Eventually went private as time was against me was in verge of being admitted to hospital. Had colonoscopy, endoscopy, stool cultures, blood tests, elimination diet, ultrasound, barium everything!Very thorough and diagnosis of IBS was made.BUT once diagnosis made you are on your own and have to then be self motivated to finbd out ways to cope and then get guidance from medical figure if possible.Doctors are not trained or interested in the everyday care aspect of any ilness, IBS is very high maintenance and that is why Gastro Nurses are so important.I do what makes me feel better but alwats ask her advice if unsure.Am lucky to have this support but am concerned that because IBS not common in my area I may have been misdiagnosed.My aunt has Coeliac Disease and her tests came up negative at first just like mine.So take matters into your own hands, use medics where you can but always get as many opinions as you think you need to have peace of mind.------------------Take CareEmGood, better, best. Never let it rest. Till your good is better and your better best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First went to GP, got referred to NHS Gastroenterologist who stuck cameras in every orifice. Nothing else doing, waiting for months for answers/appointments while getting sicker.Eventually went private as time was against me was in verge of being admitted to hospital. Had colonoscopy, endoscopy, stool cultures, blood tests, elimination diet, ultrasound, barium everything!Very thorough and diagnosis of IBS was made.BUT once diagnosis made you are on your own and have to then be self motivated to finbd out ways to cope and then get guidance from medical figure if possible.Doctors are not trained or interested in the everyday care aspect of any ilness, IBS is very high maintenance and that is why Gastro Nurses are so important.I do what makes me feel better but alwats ask her advice if unsure.Am lucky to have this support but am concerned that because IBS not common in my area I may have been misdiagnosed.My aunt has Coeliac Disease and her tests came up negative at first just like mine.So take matters into your own hands, use medics where you can but always get as many opinions as you think you need to have peace of mind.------------------Take CareEmGood, better, best. Never let it rest. Till your good is better and your better best.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Heh. I belonged to HMO when I was actually diagnosed. Tests? Ha. HMOs diagnose and prescribe by protocol, not by testing. (Am I bitter? Yes. Mostly on behalf of my PWA ex-wife, who was a member of the same HMO.)But I had all the tests before and after the HMO period. Never found evidence for anything else that would cause me to so perfectly fit the IBS profile.The actual diagnosis came in about 1993. Doc handed me a photocopied sheet describing the symptoms I knew well, recommended Metamucil (which would about kill me), and said "Most people feel much better having a name for it." I did not slap her, but it took all of my self-control.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Heh. I belonged to HMO when I was actually diagnosed. Tests? Ha. HMOs diagnose and prescribe by protocol, not by testing. (Am I bitter? Yes. Mostly on behalf of my PWA ex-wife, who was a member of the same HMO.)But I had all the tests before and after the HMO period. Never found evidence for anything else that would cause me to so perfectly fit the IBS profile.The actual diagnosis came in about 1993. Doc handed me a photocopied sheet describing the symptoms I knew well, recommended Metamucil (which would about kill me), and said "Most people feel much better having a name for it." I did not slap her, but it took all of my self-control.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I guess you can say I'm self-diagnosed. I first had the symptoms at the age of about 24. I can actually remember the first day it started! Being from Southern Louisiana, I had eated a large bowl of gumbo for lunch (very greasy)and didn't think I would make it to the restroom in time. It was downhill from there! I never went to the doctor because the condition is common amond the women in my father's family. They said I had a "Dever stomach" (Dever is our family name) and offered their sympathy.A couple of years later I had my gall bladder removed after a complete upper GI and ultrasound that found gall stones. Prior to the surgery I told the surgeon about my situation (I hadn't yet learned about IBS) and asked if it might improve after the surgery and he said it was probably unrelated.It wasn't until about two years ago that I learned about IBS. I've been relying on Internet support groups and web sites for my information.About a year ago, I went to a new MD for back pain and told him about my situation and he prescribed the still available Lotranex. What a God-send!He then referred me to a chiropractor for my back problems. My x-rays revealed that my lower spine was twisted more than an inch out of place. My lower vertebrae were compacted so much that no "light" was evident where there should have been a space for my nerves to pass through. He explained that the nerves that pass through the lower vertebra control the intestines, basically they keep your guts functioning. He said that possible, no promises made, after my spine was corrected I might have some relief from my digestive problems. In fact, my IBS is not as sever as it used to be. Might just be coincidence.I've never really been "tested" for IBS.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I guess you can say I'm self-diagnosed. I first had the symptoms at the age of about 24. I can actually remember the first day it started! Being from Southern Louisiana, I had eated a large bowl of gumbo for lunch (very greasy)and didn't think I would make it to the restroom in time. It was downhill from there! I never went to the doctor because the condition is common amond the women in my father's family. They said I had a "Dever stomach" (Dever is our family name) and offered their sympathy.A couple of years later I had my gall bladder removed after a complete upper GI and ultrasound that found gall stones. Prior to the surgery I told the surgeon about my situation (I hadn't yet learned about IBS) and asked if it might improve after the surgery and he said it was probably unrelated.It wasn't until about two years ago that I learned about IBS. I've been relying on Internet support groups and web sites for my information.About a year ago, I went to a new MD for back pain and told him about my situation and he prescribed the still available Lotranex. What a God-send!He then referred me to a chiropractor for my back problems. My x-rays revealed that my lower spine was twisted more than an inch out of place. My lower vertebrae were compacted so much that no "light" was evident where there should have been a space for my nerves to pass through. He explained that the nerves that pass through the lower vertebra control the intestines, basically they keep your guts functioning. He said that possible, no promises made, after my spine was corrected I might have some relief from my digestive problems. In fact, my IBS is not as sever as it used to be. Might just be coincidence.I've never really been "tested" for IBS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello, I had been taking Librax for over a year on the suggestion from my family doc after telling him about my alternating C/D with sometime added pain after eating certain foods. He said I probably had IBS. When the symptoms got worse he sent me to a gastro doc and I had an Upper and Lower GI series which showed Diverticulosis. It was after the diagnosis that I luckily found this site. Bless you all. Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello, I had been taking Librax for over a year on the suggestion from my family doc after telling him about my alternating C/D with sometime added pain after eating certain foods. He said I probably had IBS. When the symptoms got worse he sent me to a gastro doc and I had an Upper and Lower GI series which showed Diverticulosis. It was after the diagnosis that I luckily found this site. Bless you all. Chris

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Diagnosed with IBS by both a regular run-of-the-mill GI doctor and one of the leading researchers into IBS.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.