Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and my doctor diagnosed me with IBS a few months ago. I didn't receive much information and it's only through being on here that I know I am IBS-A. I suffer regularly from constipation and incomplete evacuation but due to the alternating nature of my IBS once things get moving it's back to the diarrhoea again. Anyway my doctor didn't do any tests or checks to diagnose me, just went on what I told him and gave me some Mebeverine (Colofac) to try and help smooth things along (which didn't help). I have 2 of the 'red flag' symptoms of weight loss and my sleep being interrupted by diarrhoea, neither of which are typical of IBS. Should my doctor have used any specific tests to diagnose me and due to these symptoms could my condition be something else?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I have a few questions for you:How old are you?And do you have any history of GI cancers in your family?If you are young with no GI cancer history... most Dr's will not do a WHOLE bunch of tests... chances are percentage-wise that it isn't something sinister.Also your weightloss could be from undereating or eating less than you previously had before symptoms began showing up. And how often are you getting up in the middle of the night with diarrhea?? If it is near every night.. yeah.. that could be serious. But if it is only once in awhile.. I would want to know.. when you had eaten last before going to bed.. what you had eaten, IF it was possible you may have had something that didn't agree with you... etc.When you see those symptoms listed on a chart.. remember it is not just the symptoms themselves that are necessarily important.. it is their onset, frequency & duration that can be most telling & informative to our Docs.IF you are uncomfortable with the Doc not performing any other testing... ASK for tests to confirm his/her diagnosis or at least... ask any questions you may have.Also>>>Here is an excellent list of questions to ask your Dr about IBS:http://www.webmd.com/ibs/guide/questions-about-ibsOr if you are not comfortable with this Dr., seek another opinion from a different Dr.Hope this helps

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Weight loss when you eat more than enough food to maintain weight?Weight loss if you sometimes eat less to control symptoms is normal weight loss. IBSers can lose weight from calorie restriction just like any healthy person.During sleep (symptoms wake you up from a sound sleep) isn't proof it isn't IBS. Pain that wakes you up at night is more common in other GI illnesses (especially GERD) but it and night symptoms happen to IBSers much more often than they do to people without any GI illness at all. It can happen more often in other illnesses that is why it is a red flagRed flag does not mean impossible symptom that never happens, it just means you sometimes see that more often in other illnesses. (the study that put during sleep as a red flag found that during sleep is a common IBS symptom, but it is seen more often in other things).Usually the diarrhea at night that isn't IBS would either be bloody (and bloody diarrhea does need to be checked out) or you get it mostly at night, only get diarrhea, and it is always watery and happens several times during the night. Loose stools at night every so often alternating with constipation would be seen in IBS, but if you had microscopic colitis you would be saying you only get diarrhea, it typically happens several times during the night and it is watery. You may have normal times in between bouts of this that last for awhile.Have you had any blood work of any kind done at all?If your blood work is normal it is unlikely you have something other than IBS. For what it is worth, many doctors do less testing with IBSers rather than more. Putting people through the ringer with a full battery of highly invasive tests when the chances of finding "not IBS" is less than the chance you will have a complication from the test usually just makes IBSers a lot worse and every "it's normal" result so lets do another test just piles on the stress.Now you may need additional testing and it could certainly be worth getting a second opinion, but be prepared that you may find even with several tests you have nothing other than IBS.If you haven't had any routine blood work since this started up it is worth getting a complete blood count done and if you can get the new IBS blood test http://www.ibsbloodtest.com/ that may be worth it, or get a test for celiac disease done separately (looking for celiac is part of the ibs blood test).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm 28 and no GI cancer in the family that I'm aware of, my mother has ulcerative colitis but I don't know whether there is a hereditary link or not. I'm just a bit concerned that he didn't ask any questions relating to my family medical history etc. I'll keep an eye on the weight loss and night time thing but hopefully they will settle down once I learn what to avoid! The question list is great, thank you for your help.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually they at some point do routine blood work on most women of child bearing age because they are supposed to check every so often for anemia.The complete blood count (CBC) is the common one they do during any halfway decent physical, so it may not be done specifically because you are complaining of diarrhea. It is one of those tests worth having done every so often, but you don't need a GI doctor to do that. Your primary doctor should be doing them at least every so often (may not need annually, but at least every few years just to be sure you are doing OK, it picks up a lot of stuff).If there is something important in your medical history you shouldn't wait for the doctor to ask. That should be one of those things you inform them of and a family member with Ulcerative colitis when you are having GI symptoms is relevant even if the doctor didn't ask.Sometimes it helps to have a list of things you need to tell the doctor worked up before hand so if they don't ask you don't forget to tell them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.