Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, and CT. Wondering what other people's experiences have been with further testing. Did it lead to improvements in your functioning, i.e. different meds/approach after testing than before? Did it help in some way, or do you regret doing it?Thanks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually how many tests you need depend on how typical of IBS your symptoms are.With constipation about the only other testing would be if you tend to go once a week or less or you strain a lot with every BM. If your transit seems very slow getting that evaluated can be useful (as very slow transit may need less fiber and more osmotics than more run of the mill constipation) and if your pelvic floor tenses rather than relaxes when you try to have a BM you may need biofeedback.They have found that excessive testing does seem to make IBSers worse so sometimes doctors will take a less is more if your symptoms are very typical and may not do anything more than blood and stool tests.

G

·
I just finished the round of GI tests (excluding the colonoscopy). The endoscope showed gastritis from hyperacidity so we started treating that, but when some of the symptoms remained my GI jumped to the CT. When that came back clean my GI attributed the symptoms to IBS. To be honest, i think the worry of what might show up on the CT may have made my symptoms worse (apparently a good sign that it is indeed IBS). My mother-in-law has inoperable cancer, my father-in-law has prostate cancer, and my dad had both prostate & kidney cancer this year-- so the thought that he was checking for tumors was terrifying. Although I was frustrated at the IBS determination - it's such a nebulous diagnosis with no clear treatment- I already feel a bit better knowing that I am clear of cancer, no sneaky appendicitis (my sister, sister-in-law, & grandmother both had theirs out this year), or other issue. So although I feel a little silly to spend close to $2000 to find out that I have something that I already knew I had, I am glad that we did the tests. But I am fortunate to have VERY good health care and have been on short-term disability throughout this whole ordeal so I have had my full salary; if I didn't have those resources I would probably feel very differently about all the 'negative' test results.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rharalson,Glad you have the disability insurance! I wish I could qualify for that but I don't. My work has a crummy policy and I have been rejected to buy my own (gee, could that be because I actually might use it?!). I know what you mean about the mixed feelings from negative tests.Yes, huge relief...at the same time, the symptoms sometimes feel so serious. I feel the same frustration with the IBS diagnosis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.