Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have experienced diarrea and cramps for years and started seeking help about a year ago. In that time I have had an abdominal ultrasound, colonoscopy, blood tests, had my stomach scoped, and a small bowel follow through. After all of this I still do not have an official diagnosis but have been treated with daily meds and am somewhat better, but not where I would like to be. The small bowel follow through was supposed to take 4 to 6 hour to complete, but in my case, it only took 45 minutes. This is obviously where my problem lies. I have been treated with Questran twice a day since and it has helped. But I still seem to have bad days and the cramping comes and goes. After I have a bowel movement, I feel OK then it is like things have to rearrange themselves and I have some cramping and leakage if I am working and moving alot. I am looking for some possible information on what I might have wrong and others who have this same problem and what has worked for them. I haven't had much luck with any pills the GI doctor gave me. Imodium seems to work good if I take it every day, but it seems to work less after some time and it slows me to the point of constipation at times when the Questran gets a good hold on the problem. Any information would be a great help.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sounds like you've had a pretty good work up. did they check for celiac when they did the stomach scope or have you had a blood test for that.If you are maintaining weight when you eat enough calories that means really food is not shooting through the stomach and small intestine way too fast. Sometimes barium will do that, but it doesn't have the signals that real food has so you can't assume that food goes as fast as it does in a test. If you have to eat a lot more than you should to keep weight on there could be some transit issues there, but usually it is more something like celiac blocking the aborption than you just cannot keep food in the small intestine for more than a few minutes.We get a lot of people who have that fast barium transit and I don't think that it really ever enlightens anyone about what treatment they need.Questran tends to work for people with IBS-D as does Imodium. If you need more control of the pain either an antispasmodic (probably what the doctor gave you that may not control the diarrhea by itself as they are only a little constipating) or you might talk to them about a low dose tricyclic antidepressant. That can also be just a little constipating so may not be enough by itself for the diarrhea but may reduce the pain. You might need to take those for a month or so before you know if they work.Have you tried a probiotic? Those help some people with pain as the reduce gas volume and sometimes help control the diarrhea a bit.ETA about normal transit for the barium test. Looked up some info.3 hours is usually the maximum in normal people. They need to schedule you for enough hours so you can be there until it is over in case you are abnormally slow. So the 4-6 hours. THat doesn't mean everyone needs the whole time, but that by the end of 6 hours everyone normal or not should be done.
Most patients have a small-bowel transit time of between 30 min and 3 hr.
so 45 doesn't sound like it is so abnormally fast they would be worried.http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/full/174/3/866-a (not sure if everyone can get the full article)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What probiotic would you recomend? I have tried acidolpholis in the pills you get off the shelf at wal mart and it did nothing for me. I have tried Benefiber powder. It helps some, but blows me up like a balloon even after months of continued use. I am currently using the Questran twice a day and hycosimine before each meal and am getting fair results. High fat meals, excess sweets both cause me trouble. Coffee does too but just for a half hour or so depending on how stout it is. I am not sure if the doc even knows for sure what is going on. I am trying to educate myself as much as possible before I go back to him so maybe we both can get me fixed. Either that, or I need to know for myself if I am as good as I am going to get and need to learn to deal with it, or if there is more that I can do. Most of what I am feeling with the cramps, I believe, is excess gas. I seem to fart alot since starting my treatments and with gas comes other things if you know what I mean. Thanks for the reply. Let me know what you would recomend I try on the probiotics. Thanks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some probiotic brands that people on here seem to like (or have clinical data for IBS).Align, VSL#3, Jarrodophilus, GNC, I'm having luck with some Vitamin Shoppe House Brand ones right now, Culturelle, Digestive Advantage.Some people have issues when they add a lot of prebiotics so you might look to see how much inulin or FOS they add.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.