Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so first a little bit of an update. I've been pretty good IBS-wise for a couple of weeks now. Only a flare up here and there, and that's been mostly gurgling, no diarrhea really. Until recently I've been much better with things. Then I ate out from a burger place Sunday night and had a little bit of diarrhea after that, and then reheated the french fries tonight for dinner and had issues again. Also, I've noticed that my symptoms are definitely worse in general if I eat out or order out somewhere as opposed to just eating something at home. Could that be due to something in the oils that some places use? It seems to happen if I eat more of a greasier meal as opposed to like eating chicken or something else out. Does anyone else have this issue, or is this just something I'm making up?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
May just be that fast food, and most restaurant food has more fat in that then the same food cooked at home, even when they use the exact same fats.The more fat you eat, the bigger the gastrocolic reflex from a meal. That is the "move it along" signal that the stomach sends to the intestines to make room from each time you eat.Larger, greasy, fatty, fried, rich meals, or meals when you delayed eating for awhile (like skipped a meal) cause a bigger GC reflex than small, lean meals eaten more frequently.

·
Registered
36 Posts
May just be that fast food, and most restaurant food has more fat in that then the same food cooked at home, even when they use the exact same fats.The more fat you eat, the bigger the gastrocolic reflex from a meal. That is the "move it along" signal that the stomach sends to the intestines to make room from each time you eat.Larger, greasy, fatty, fried, rich meals, or meals when you delayed eating for awhile (like skipped a meal) cause a bigger GC reflex than small, lean meals eaten more frequently.
Yeah, restaurant fare is frequently fattier/saltier/carb-ier than you would make it yourself at home.Incidentally, D after fast food isn't unique to IBS, either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.